Fiber - Explain it to me

Options
I've accepted and become an advocate of CICO but there seems to be some weird gray area with fiber. My understanding is that a lot of fiber is not digested and therefore, the calories wouldn't impact your intake. I know Quest Bars and many other health food products don't include the full 4kC/g carbs of their fiber.

I have actually started using IMO (the high fiber sweetener in Quest Bars, etc) fairly liberally in my diet. Eating a high fiber low carb diet has helped my stomach but it doesn't seem like some of the calorie counts in these are registering with me the way non fiber carbs would.

Replies

• Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So should we calibrate calories to reflect 1.5-2 kC/g Fiber? Because it is recognized differently in every product. I'm getting ~50-75g fiber a day. Thats 100-150 calories a day difference.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the (lack of) calories are already accounted for, so you don't need to worry about it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    This was giving me a brain fart last night too actually. I think I understand now...or at least I stopped freaking out.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yea you don't need to worry about the calories in fiber carbs. 99.9% of the nutritional labels that are approved by the FDA already have this pre-calculated. And green leafy vegetables you shouldn't be stressing too much over in counting them anyway.

If you were to eat a head of broccoli it would be like 30 calories....maybe.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's the carbs from fiber you don't count. So, if an item has 43g of carbs, and 6g of fiber, then you'd only account for 36g of carbs. Not important, unless you need to count carbs. Then, those fiber reductions can equal a lot more food.
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Eat more light popcorn! Good fiber and helps with the salty snack cravings! At age 55 I need lotsa fiber!