Running on Treadmill and pain in leg?

Options
I am not an experienced runner, can do about 5 -8 minutes before I need a minute of walking. I am slowly working my way up with duration and speed. Currently am doing about 4.2-4.5 mph (slow jog). However, the more I try running the more that my leg has been hurting. It is not a shin splint, but close to shin but towards inside of the leg. It feels like a pulled muscle. I tried running on the treadmill today but it was a no - go....could hardly knock out 1 minute before it was killing me.

Anyone else have this?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Are you putting the treadmill on an incline? I have that kind of pain if I don't set it to at least 1% incline.
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do not, it is flat out at zero! It is horrible, so bad today that I am limping. Not sure what it is, I guess blood clots have me worried but at this point not sure if they would actually hurt. I don't know, just bothersome especially when I just start to really enjoy running it starts hurting all over again.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Also, it may be worth your time to look at your shoes to see if they work well with your gait (Gait analysis can be a freebie at a few running shoe stores). Tendons can become quite bitchy to repeated stress if you pronate or supinate. (a little google time with 'Tibialis Posterior Tendinopathy' if your pain extends into or near your foot)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    how new and good are your shoes? seriously shoes can be all the difference in the world

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • escalada22
    Options
    I have had my shoes for awhile, but I switch between 2 or 3 pairs. I guess the pair I have been wearing this week have the most wear because they were the most comfortable to start with!

Thanks everyone for all your help! Just aggravating when you start enjoying something and then have to stop because something is hurt!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get pain when I run on the tread mill for a while to. I have to set mine about 2.5 to really work for me- which is probably one of the reasons I run slower- but it's better- no pains.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Did you try "quick and short strides"? As awkward as it may seem it works. Over-striding can cause pain around the tibia. Lower legs need conditioning to build tibia strength. So take it slow.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How long have you been in pain? Does it hurt only when running?
  • escalada22
    Options
    The pain comes and goes. I have been to the gym the last 3 days in a row and have done some running each day. It was hurting some yesterday but today was much worse.
  • escalada22
    Options
    After doing a little research on the muscles of the legs it looks like it could be posterior shin splint, however, when I rub it, it almost feels as thought it is the bone. I have no idea, but agree it could be the shoes!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Go to RoadRunner. They can fit you correctly. They will custom mold inserts for you. Shoes are very important.

Ice the area. You may have little knots along the bone. Your tibia needs conditioning. Take it "s l o w".

Short/quick strides. (You may get soreness in your hips the next day but it should go away)