Loosing inches and setting a healthy goal

Options
I like that MFP lets you track inches, but I'm having a hard time knowing how to set a realistic goal in that area. I've heard people say, "focus on inches, not pounds!" but there's not much info out there on what healthy inches look like! WebMD did give me a waist to height ratio of .42-.45 but I'm wondering if that is a little too high? My height is 5'9" and my waist is 29" so I'm already at their recommended goal, but I'm wanting to lose 10-15 lbs (which would be within a healthy BMI range.) How do I set a healthy goal?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't know of a way to set a rate of inches gained and lost. I don't think its possible, but maybe someone else can chime in on that?

If you are wanting to drop 10-15 pounds set a 0.5lbs/week deficit. If you want to stay your current weight and try to lose inches (recomposisiton = in your case you would be trying to shift your weight from fat to muscle) set yourself at maintenance and focus on working out, especially resistance training (there are plenty of success stories of ladies lifting heavy with their results, might be worth checking out). Either way, with where you are progress will be relatively slow, so set some good fitness goals you can enjoy achieving and enjoy the ride :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start with a 10 pound goal and see where you are. You can always change it later.