is 130lbs a good goal for me??

Options
I am a 5'3" woman age 31 and currently weigh 155. My goal at this point is 130lbs...do you guys think this is a good goal for someone my height, or should I go less? I really do not want to be skin and bones, I just want to be a good normal healthy weight for my size.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Weight is just an arbitrary number. Go by how you look and feel. You may decide to stop at 140, you may keep going until 115, who knows.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a perfectly reasonable goal. The nice things about goals are that they are not concrete. If you get there and think you would like to lose more, then you can. If you're at 135 and like how you look at that weight, you can stop. I'm 5'4" and have a goal to get into the 130's just to see what I want to do from there.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! I am 5'3, my goal weight is 140-145.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm with JenMC's comment. Weight is nothing more than a number. It totally depends on how you feel! Plus, as you build more lean muscle, the scale may be higher than that stupid number on the scale but you look and feel great! Keep in mind, you are more important than that silly number on a scale!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! Any goal weight you choose is good...it's your body and you know what you'd be content with. According to the professionals...I found a credible source...and at your height, your 'ideal' weight is 104-127.

http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Probably. Mostly going to be an issue of composition as opposed to weight. 130lbs can look very different just by varying composition alone.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    See how you feel and what you can sustain. The range of "healthy weight" for any height can be anyway from 3 lbs for each inch about 5 feet to 5 lbs per inch for every inch above 5 feet.

I'm 5 ft 8 and weigh 144 lbs. My goal is 125 because I do competitive stair climbing, and lighter is faster. But, I'm doing it in a very healthy way and my goal is to reach the weigh in 12 months.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3". I set my first weight loss goal at 135. When I got there, I decided I could lose more. So, my second goal was 125, and I reached that one, too:) It just depends on how you look and feel when you get there. Lifting and cardio both help with the journey.
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    All of the above, I'm agreeing with them, too.

I'm 5'2.5" and 136/7 right now, and aimed for 120. So I would definitely say 130 is a good place to aim for and you can always look at your goals as your're hitting them. Decided then if you want more shaping, more weight loss or even to stop and maintain. It's an awesome goal, if it's the one you want and you feel healthy when you get there!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My goal was 130 and I am 5'4". It's not super skinny and it lets me eat some sweets now and then. Also I'm 66 so I don't feel like I want to struggle to stay down at 120 like when I was younger. Actually, I always had to struggle to be 120 and I would have been happier with more muscle and a bit more weight when I was younger.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 and 31 as well. My current goal on MFP currently is 155. I got down to 162 in the summer of 2011 (gained it all back of course) and i felt alot better but wasnt completely happy. i know with my body structure i will never be a toothpick but i think i could be happy anywhere between 140-155.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I really like this goal body weight calculator. As you will see, your goal body weight will depend on your goal body fat percentage.

Find out your Goal Body Weight – How much should you weigh? When you start your new healthy lifestyle, you should have a goal in mind. This calculator will help you establish that goal. You will need to know your current body fat percentage to use this calculator.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am 31 5'2 and 130 is a great weight IF you have a low body fat percentage. That's all it really comes down to.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think if you aren't sure about your goal weight it's a good number to aim for. Once you get there or are close to getting there you'll have a better idea of where you want to be.
    I'm 5' 2" 25 and aiming for 119 (currently 123) and I'm beginning to get bony (but I'm ok with some boniness) so I think 130 is a good target for you. Just don't worry if you want to change that up or down. It's not about weight as a number, it's about how you feel in your body.
  • shakespearessister
    Options
    It isn't an unreasonable goal on paper, but go by how you feel. My goal was 130 (I'm 5'6"). I weighed around 120 pounds when I got married, so I thought 130 was a good goal. However (after 4 children in 5 years), I've gotten down to 136, and I look and feel good. It seems to be my natural set point now, as I've been hanging at this weight for several months, even though by my calorie consumption I should still be losing. So see how you feel as you lose.
  • hollyclausen
    hollyclausen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'3" my goal is close...125. I think it really depends on how you carry your weight, genetics, how much is muscle, etc. I'd say pick it as a goal and decide when you get there. At 140 you're what the BMI charts say is "normal". Good luck!
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone!
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It should be fine, but worry about that when you reach it then you decide for yourself
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3"...........started Jan.11,2013 @ 147.5lbs............June 10 @ 122.5; that's exactly 25lbs. gone, one day short of 6 months here..........goal is 120 or possibly 115, depending on how I like my body at 120. See how you look; see how you feel, have patience and never, never give up. Best of luck!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I would just start with that as a "starter goal" and see how you feel when you get there. The number on the scale isn't the only measure of how fit you are. I would say to focus more on sizes. For some one 5' 3" I would think you could go as low as 115 -120 and still not look "skin and bones".
    I'm 5' 5" and 126lbs and I'm far from "skin and bones"