How to people stick to lower carbs, I find it impossible...

Options
Hi All

I don't track my food via MFP as I follow weightwatchers but out of curiosity I've just completed yesterday's food diary on MFP and my goodness, was shocked to see all the carbs I ate, was 169g of carbs!! I was only shocked because I've read some people stick to 50g per day - how on earth do you do this!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I can't see why anybody would purposely restrict carbs unless there was some illness related to it...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    They eat alot of meat and green leafed veggies. It's fine, it's just not necessary. Also 170g of carbs isn't bad as long as you're still eating a calorie deficit. That is, if your goal is to lose weight.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eat mostly protein. Meat, eggs, cheese, etc.
    and avoid meats with sauces. Chicken wings are low carb. Chicken wings with barbecue sauce on them aren't.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm not restricting carbs but did wonder how people limit theirselves to 50g!! I would find that impossible!

I tried cutting out carbs about a month ago (bad advice from a friend but I didnt know this at the time) I lasted 3 weeks and at the end of that 3 weeks I was lethargic, started getting headaches, was moody and irritable and the last resort came when I wad in Bodypump and literally was so energyless in class I wanted to cry!
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I rarely go over 20g
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    What you eat in carbs, I eat in protein. You're probably in the 40-50g of protein range, and I'm like "ermagerd wher ser lertter prertern"
  • kmab1985
    Options
    So from that personal experience I wouldnt want to restrict my carbs, it was awful! I upped my protein but restricted carbs!
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Yeah my protein from the food diary I did was 67g, still had 17g remaining!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    So from that personal experience I wouldnt want to restrict my carbs, it was awful! I upped my protein but restricted carbs!

I don't think I restrict my carbs at all. I eat the food that I like and tastes good to me. Without thinking "hey this is carbs, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO." lots of eggs, protein shakes, pork chops, chicken thighs and breast, greens, brussel sprouts, parsnips, fun size snickers, grape tomatoes. I make a hella good balsamic mini meatloaf, speaking of which I need to get the recipe to a friend, thanks for reminding me.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm at 22g carbs, it's all fruit and vegetables, no starches. You simply use fat to fill out your calories instead of macros. Bread vs bacon, potatoes vs steak, pop tarts vs chocolate and whipped cream.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Sorry to be thick but what do you mean by "You simply use fat to fill out your calories instead of macros. Bread vs bacon, potatoes vs steak, pop tarts vs chocolate and whipped cream"

What are macros?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yeah my protein from the food diary I did was 67g, still had 17g remaining!

I don't get how people can eat so little protein.

Each to their own...! :drinker:
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Don't count your vegetables as carbs unless it is a potato or corn.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Yeah but you never hear "Protein is bad, eat less of it" whereas with carbs you do so I can kinda see why people subconsciously eat less of it...
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my BFF. I will never give up on them.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    Yeah but you never hear "Protein is bad, eat less of it" whereas with carbs you do so I can kinda see why people subconsciously eat less of it...

There's no need to, the only conversation that really needs to be had is "CICO for weight loss."

because greedy marketing firms demonized carbs and fats to sell you the same weight loss programs in new books and videos every year.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

If you have X calories to play with, to increase protein you by definition have to decrease the other macros.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Carbs get a bad rap lately.

The problem isn't carbs, the problem is convenience-foods and portion control. That being said though, most of these conveniently packaged foods tend to be loaded with carbohydrates. Simple carbohydrates are not filling, spike your blood sugar, and lead to an energy crash soon afterward, leaving you hungry again. So yes, in large quantities... you wanna avoid ONLY relying on highly refined carbohydrates for energy. You want to add in plenty of fats and protein to keep you satisfied and energized. Plus if you want to repair muscle faster and prevent muscle loss, you're going to need to have protein in your diet.

But carbs are important too... you want to eat carbs before you exercise, for sure... that way you don't end up feeling too fatigued during Bodypump ;)

I try to keep my carbohydrates around the 100 mark. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I try to fill up on protein and fat because it helps me stay full so I can keep my calorie intake down. Because... at the end of the day, weight loss is all about that deficit.

• smukkeff
    smukkeff Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't count your vegetables as carbs unless it is a potato or corn.

While it's true that veggies are fabulous for you, I would say you definitely should still count those carbs from the veggies. :smile:
    A lot of people who are on a low carb or ketogenic type diet will count their net carbs, meaning the take the fiber content into consideration and really are only counting the starches and sugars. (Though I believe the "expert" jury is still out on which is the better practice)
    But veggies still have sugars/starches/fiber (of course) and vary along the glycemic index, meaning some affect your blood glucose more than others. :smile: White potatoes are actually rather high on the GI list.
    So we should still be keeping specific veggie choices in mind (esp. when going very low carb). But probably for general dieting, this is less of an issue.

and I definitely agree with nuttynanners above me here: the bigger issue seems to be the highly processed, pre-packaged "food-like products".

I'm certainly not a nutritionist or anything :blush: i just do a wild amount of reading/research. So it's largely opinion
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be thick but what do you mean by "You simply use fat to fill out your calories instead of macros. Bread vs bacon, potatoes vs steak, pop tarts vs chocolate and whipped cream"

What are macros?

Macro nutrients = Carbs, protein and fat