How to go from running/jogging to sprinting/faster running?

Options
Hello all,

I’m not a veteran runner like other people here: I’ve been running on and off for quite a few years now, ranging from 5k daily to 5k a few times a week or 10-12k on the weekends. I’ve been having some problems with my knee recently and my massotherapist, who’s had a good close look at my muscle development, recommends I switch to sprints or running faster rather than endurance runs (if you can call 5k that, but anyway) in order to better engage my muscles. I actually did notice my knee pain stops when I sprint, so it might be my gait or running form. My current running speed is pretty relaxed at around 6.7 mph. I already do a strength training program (Starting Strength) but would like to continue some form of running because it relaxes me.

TL;DR: Anyone here do sprints or faster running? It was always my understanding that to run faster, you need to run longer. Sprinting for X seconds and then running for Y seconds seems a strange concept to me. Mostly because it sounds hard :tongue: . I’d appreciate any thoughts or resources you can share.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If i do sprints they are only 50-75 yards, then walk back, recover and repeat 5-10x.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If i do sprints they are only 50-75 yards, then walk back, recover and repeat 5-10x.

Ok, makes sense. About how long does this take, if you know? I don’t really know how to structure a sprinting workout…
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    If you can use a track then you could do something like: Sprint 400m (1 lap) as fast as you can, take a few minutes rest, sprint it again, rest, sprint, rest, sprint. That would only be a mile total.
    Then maybe sprinkle in shorter sprints after like a 100m.

Something else I just thought of would be to sprint for 200m then jog for 200m and just alternate until you hit a set distance. Something in the 1000-2000m range.

I'm no sprinting expert those are just a couple ideas. I've always run endurance but maybe a former sprinter could share a workout from when they ran track.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Those are some great ideas, @yusaku02 , I appreciate it! I didn’t even think of going to the track - there is one nearby, and that would make it a lot easier to measure distances. If not, I might have to get some fancy watch thing.
  • racepacephoto
    racepacephoto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all, your relaxed pace of a bit under 9 minute miles is pretty darn quick already. Your form will change a bit but not drastically if you pick up the pace. You may benefit from trying to avoid a hard heel strike... Landing on your mid foot and not reaching out in front with your lead leg. If you are very straight legged and hitting your heel out front, you will feel this in your joints. Try shorter quicker strides (not necessarily faster pace, but higher cadence). Doing some faster segments within your run will help teach your body how to run more economically. Make sure you have the proper shoes as well. Visit a good local shop and they'll help with that. Running fast is a blast and it sounds like you're a very capable runner so it should not be hard for you to work some speed in. Look up "Fartlek" on the web and have fun!
  • NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I used to do athletics although now I'm without a club but I still do the same routine. This is the programme I currently follow for sprints :)

1x 400m warmup jog
    10 mins dynamic stretching
    Sets of drills (high knees, butt kicks, capioca, a skips, b skips, acceleration drills etc...) there are quite a few ! They help build muscle and develop your running form.
    Main sprint sessions. I tend to do 100 metres, starting at low intensity and work up until I'm at a flat out sprint. I also do plyo sprints too if I'm still feeling fresh. I'll sprint the 100m and then walk back to the starting base line, then set off again. The walk back is kind of my recovery time.
    X1 400m warm down jog
    Stretching to round off :smile:

This has worked very well for me, building up my speed and endurance.

If you have any questions or want any advice, feel free to drop my a message/ friend request. Hope it was helpful. Recently got back into it so I'm testing out routines and building up my speed again ^^
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you both for the excellent advice!

@racepacephoto That is very kind of you, and your discussion of form is very helpful. I made note of what you’re saying. I always tried to land on my mid-foot, but I’m not sure how successful I really am. Quicker strides are a fantastic idea. One thing I’m good on is shoes - I learned, the hard way, how important they are! Having correctly-fitted shoes has basically eliminated my stubborn IT band inflammation. Thanks for all the great advice!

@NicolaMichelle93 Thank you so much for sharing your routine. I’ve written it down and hope to try it very soon. It does look like I need to get to a track - otherwise, I’ll be lost distance-wise!

Again, much appreciated :smile:

Edit: I did look up fartlek (Swedish for “speed play") and it sounds amazing! I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it before. Very excited to look into it and try it out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I’ve been having some problems with my knee recently

So just saying "some problems with your knee" doesn't really tell anyone much about what the issue is, and whether sprint sessions might help.

The common causes of knee pain would be worn out footwear, overtraining, lack of strength in the structure around the knee or core strength. None of those are treated by sprinting, so I'd treat the advice with a healthy dose of scepticism and I'd address the pain first, then add speed sessions.

Personally I'm in half marathon training, so my speed sessions would be:
    1. Warm up for 15 minutes at a ten minute mile, then either
    2. 10*100/ one minute recovery; or
    3. 10* 200 metres/ one minute recovery; or
    4. 5*400 metres/ 3 minutes recovery; then
    5. Cool down for 15 minutes at a ten minute mile

Slowing down to a 10 min/ mile pace between
  • Emilia777
    Options
    I’ve been having some problems with my knee recently

So just saying "some problems with your knee" doesn't really tell anyone much about what the issue is, and whether sprint sessions might help.

The common causes of knee pain would be worn out footwear, overtraining, lack of strength in the structure around the knee or core strength. None of those are treated by sprinting, so I'd treat the advice with a healthy dose of scepticism and I'd address the pain first, then add speed sessions.

Personally I'm in half marathon training, so my speed sessions would be:
    1. Warm up for 15 minutes at a ten minute mile, then either
    2. 10*100/ one minute recovery; or
    3. 10* 200 metres/ one minute recovery; or
    4. 5*400 metres/ 3 minutes recovery; then
    5. Cool down for 15 minutes at a ten minute mile

Slowing down to a 10 min/ mile pace between

Thank you for the advice regarding common knee issues. Seeing as I don’t overtrain, my footwear is at a low mileage, and I squat over 100 lbs, there shouldn’t really be any issues, and the discomfort (I wouldn’t go as far as to call it pain) only seldom comes up. As such, there really isn’t anything that I can do other than reassess the way I run. I’m of course open to suggestions, though.

I had no idea that half marathon training involves speed sessions. This is very exciting to learn, and I hope to give your speed session a try very soon. Thanks very much for sharing it! If I may ask, do you run on a track, or do you use a watch to track your distance?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Some good advice already, one thing I would add is learn about form. Sprinting is actually very technical, and if you get good form, you'll go faster and reduce injury risk.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    there shouldn’t really be any issues, and the discomfort (I wouldn’t go as far as to call it pain) only seldom comes up. As such, there really isn’t anything that I can do other than reassess the way I run. I’m of course open to suggestions, though.

It sounds like it might be more of a form issue than anything else. What's giving me caution about the advice you've received is that your resistance training should be doing enough for the muscular structure. The whole marathoner vs sprinter point is a monotonous recurring theme in all of the CV vs resistance threads, without recognising that a competitive sprinter will do quite a lot of resistance training to give themselves the muscular bulk and explosive power. It's not the sprinting that develops the muscle, it benefits from the resistance training.

My instinct would be to look at your form, it's mentioned upthread about a short, quick, pace to put less rotational stress on the lower leg, ankle and knee joints. If you do have an issue there then sprint sessions are likely to exacerbate it, rather than help it.
    I had no idea that half marathon training involves speed sessions. This is very exciting to learn, and I hope to give your speed session a try very soon. Thanks very much for sharing it! If I may ask, do you run on a track, or do you use a watch to track your distance?

Long steady runs develop the aerobic base, tempo runs develop lactate threshold performance and sprint intervals help develop maximal oxygen uptake, VO2Max. Anyone serious about improving performance at long distance should be doing a combination of those, subject to actually doing an adequate weekly mileage to benefit from them. Without the aerobic base the other two sessions don't have anything much to build on.

Personally I don't train on a track, but use a Garmin to manage my training sessions.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal You know your stuff, that is very helpful. Thanks for breaking it down.

You both make a good point about form. I always made an effort to ensure it’s as it should be, but maybe I’m doing something wrong. I think I’ll head into my local Running Room to see if they can do a form check for me. Thanks for your input!