Too nervous to take exercise class??!!

Options
I am not my heaviest but I am still big at 217. I feel like a hideous monster... I want to do a class at Golds but am so afraid of looking like a complete fool. Why can't I get over that? Also what classes do you recommend?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I made good use of "denial", and avoided mirrors, to participate in a fitness class. I pretended Iooked as graceful as the instructor and did my best to keep up. I know I looked the complete fool, but I had fun anyways. I got compliments for my persistence. I started exercising when I was about your weight and I'm still a big girl at 185.

My particular brand of "denial" allows me to wear neon. No shrinking violet, me. There's another participant in her fifties, thin as a rail and all sinew, and she wears what she likes. Kind of like this ballerina thing. One of the great advantages of being a mature woman.

346636d1352344000-sold-brand-new-zumba-fitness-sexy-sassy-skort-skirt-zumbawear-size-s-1.jpg

At a certain point you just gotta love who you are.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I suggest try them all and keep doing what you love. I loved Zumba but it doesn't fit in to my schedule now. Hubby's revived interest and I am joining him. He loves group lifting and group step. I think the lifting frankly I need more for posture and strength. And I do a Yoga class every week. As relaxing as a massage.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    OH, and I swear, more larger women started coming to class after I started going. So there's power in numbers.
  • lynnpertle
    lynnpertle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh exactly what you do. I would try a class that is easy to follow. Not step or Zumba. It is too easy to give up when you are lost or are 10 steps behind everyone else. A little weight lifting class maybe? Or a toning class? I always feel like I don't belong , like everybody is better than me. You will be seriously surprised how nice people are. I try to make small talk with another person, that makes me feel like I belong and then they say "see you next week." Tell yourself how great you will feel to have gotten over one of your fears.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    get in there!

try, and have fun, thats really all anyone cares about

• kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I too felt nervous and intimidated when I first joined the gym,my first class was bodypump and now I do insanity and weight training....you come to realise that no ones interested in your workout or what u look like....they are more interested in their own workout just like u are! :-) dont be scared!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I totally know the feeling. But it's just one of those things, you know, where the worst that will happen is that you'll be uncomfortable, self-conscious. Surely you can push through that, because it doesn't stick around in my experience. Eventually the space is familiar, the classes are familiar, there are people you recognize and say hi to or whatever, the instructor is familiar, you acclimate.

The best part about the classes is that it's easier than wandering up to the free weights or the machines, if you don't know what you're doing, because you'll have the instructor.

Also, in my limited experiences with group fitness, people are working their *kitten* off. They are listening to and watching the instructor, or themselves/their equipment. They're trying to pace their breathing and thinking about form and keeping pace and on and on. They honestly do not have the chance to sit back and contemplate how you look.

And it's also a pretty shared experience. You won't be the only one feeling that way, and many/most/all of the people there who don't feel that way that day can probably remember feeling that way in the past.

That said, it's totally okay to opt for something else. I'm just going on your statement that you WANT to do the class. If you want it, fight for it. I don't think you'll regret giving it a try, even if you can't get comfortable and decide to do something different after all.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In the words of a famous sports manufacturer... Just do it!
    No one is looking at you they're too busy either leaping around like a loon and trying to remember left from right... Or checking their form in the mirror.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Take whatever class you like but I'll say this.

1.) be aware of your surroundings- if you're taking a dance class or a step class -have fun get into it- but at least be aware if you aren't in step that you aren't crashing into other people's space (this goes for everyone- not just new people)

2.) Don't sweat all the big arm movements. Watch the FEET. most of the time the stuff is a simple right left right left pattern- or right left right HOLD...

watch the feet- take a second to proccess and get that down first- don't worry about ANYTHING else. watch teh feet.

Most people focus on all the do-whoopity stuff and get over whelmed- but you can pick it up quickly by simply watching the feet- right left? left right? pivot on the right- pivot on the left? is she pivoting away or to you?

note these things and you'll find you can adapt to ANY dance class and feel way less stressed out.

3.) Remember it's supposed to be a fun way to break a sweat- but that doesn't mean it's easy.

4.) feel free to modify if something is causing you pain- or grief. find a way to make it work for you.
  • newen
    newen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what size you are, first class is always scary as it's new. I don't think there is a class I've not loved once given it a go. I like that there is always options. Is there a buddy you could persuade to join you? Even if just for first class.
    I now look like proper gym bunny until music starts. I have no coordination and sweat like pig but I give It my all as it's my workout.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get over the fear. You just need to gather the courage to do what you need to do for your health, despite your fears.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear." --Mark Twain

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I like to take a lot of classes and there are always people of all shapes and sizes. Also, people in group exercise classes tend to be very friendly, in my experience. Just go for it.
  • iwillthinkof
    iwillthinkof Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can only look like a winner if you're trying. Remember to push yourself as hard as you can but you have a choice to stop if it's too much. Good luck!
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Trust me, the instructor may be as nervous as you. Normally the one that is nervous and doesn't want to seem like a fool is the very one everyone else wishes they could be like. I have my own fear about going to exercise classes. I'm living in Nigeria, I'm Irish, don't look like everyone else and stick out like a sore thumb so I do my exercise at home with a DVD.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I was pretty terrified the first time I walked into a dojo. Having to wear all white didn't help. Here I was this fat sweaty out of breath 39 year old among a bunch of fit and athletic people who were mostly much younger than myself. Six years later I am still practicing, still fat (although a little lighter), not so out of breath and preparing for my black belt test. All of those fit young athletic people have quit long since and been replaced by others who often have not lasted 6 months.

Don't let fear of what other people might think,hold you back from doing something wonderful for yourself. :)
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    im now almost average weight and am still too intimidated to take a group class. im pretty uncoordinated so im scared to embarrass myself. at the same time i know if i just made myself do that first class i would probably enjoy it! next month i'm hoping i can just not over think it and go. just try .. even if its just once. atleast u will know~ chances are u will enjoy it
  • kkowalske17
    kkowalske17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a toning/strengthening type class to start off. I finally got the courage to take a few exercise classes at the gym and found that I like the Les Mills Body Pump the best. I took PIYO and had trouble keeping up. I've never been to a Zumba class, but it looks fun and the moves not too difficult. I took Yoga a few years ago, when I was at my heaviest, and found it difficult to get into some of the positions because of my excess body fat :-(

The main thing I would avoid in the beginning is a class where the moves are complex and the pace is really fast (like PIYO). I'm sure you will find people of all shapes, sizes, and levels of fitness in the classes and everyone there was new to group exercise at some point. Let the instructor know that you are new to the class and he/she should be able to give you some tips on the best way to get started.

Be brave. You can do it!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ^ that's what I was just going to post - try a class like body pump where there is no choreography, plus you have the lifting to make you feel badass no matter what.

I also agree with the poster who said that people in classes tend to be really friendly. And varied.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I agree with trying a les mills class (body pump, grit, combat, etc.) as they will be the same for several weeks at a time, letting you get some of the routines down. Body pump or any weight based class would be easiest as you aren't dancing around.

There will most likely be a wide range of people (weights, ages, abilities) in the classes. There's a 90 year old man who is always at the kickboxing class I take, I hope I am like that someday.

Good instructors will give you options as well. No jumping jacks? Squat in place. Can't do that either? Walk in place. No one will judge you!
  • mandyclay1982
    mandyclay1982 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best thing about Golds Gym is most of their classes are in the dark so no need to feel nervous :) Its a great opportunity tomet some amazing, supportive people! 217lbs is nothing, lol. I definately wouldn't cIassify you as a monster. I use to go to Golds and i stayed in the back of every class, slowly worked my way to the front. Nobody judges in workout classes because everyone there is going to feel better about themselves. Hope that helps! :)