Macros, I dont get it

Hi, i really thought i was getting the whole burn more than what you consume thing, to lose weight. until the macros were confusing me. If you lose weight through more calories out then in, then why do you have to eat under a certain amount of carbs, fat and protien. example: i always stay under my 1700 calorie def. im 5ft5 and 207IBs with moderate activity. I have been losing weight, by exercising and either sticking to my 1700 or going under. But when i look at my macro, nutrition values for the day, i always go over my carbs and fat. Will going over my macro eventually effect my weight loss, even though im sticking to my calories and exercising?? I really dont get it.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Calories are king for weight loss. Keep your calories in the correct range and you should lose weight (barring any medical issues, obviously).

Macros (fat, protein, carbs) help with things like health, mood, gym performance, body composition, etc. For instance, getting enough protein will help you lose less of your lean muscle mass. Getting enough fat will help with things like vitamin absorption and healthy skin & nails.

MFP gives you one possible way to split your macros, but it's not the only way. You should feel free to play around and change them depending on your personal needs and preferences.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Go under on protein and you may have some unintended side-effects like brittle nails or losing hair.
    Go under on fat and you may have trouble maintaining sustained energy through the day.
    Cut out carbs and you will go in to Ketosis and smell like nail polish.

A little red isn't bad. Make changes if you are getting BIG PULSING red every day.

You will lose weight no matter how you mess with your macros, as long as you stay in a deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    calories are what matter most for weight loss. Keep in mind that MFP's default macros are just that...they're a default %...there is no magical one size fits all macro ratio. People manage their macros for a variety of reasons...some are on specific diets like low carb/high fat...others like myself manage macros for fitness performance and recovery. Managing your macros can also assist you in getting more balanced nutrition.

Also, as macros go, protein is pretty important when you're dieting as it will help you retain muscle mass...as you lose weight, you lose both fat and muscle...adequate protein intake combined with resistance training helps to mitigate this issue.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    For weigh loss only is is the CICO thing!!

Once you change up goals for exercise, fitness and overall health you may want to tweak MFP macros so that you can line up the numbers better to meet your over all health goals.

Look up (google a coupe of sites) for your recommended protein for your age and fitness, also look up minimum carbs and fat..

WHen I started I changed the protein first, then fat and then carbs (I tweak MFP to my liking).
  • phitnessjunky
    phitnessjunky Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you all so much for your information, and advice :) really much appreciate it. im learning new things everyday on the mfp. thanks guys.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jaqcan wrote: »
    It may. You aren't properly fueling your body if most of what you're eating is carbs and fat. Vegetables and protein are healthier and less processed. I don't really worry about my carbs or fat. I do aim to hit my protein because I feel fuller longer.
    I wouldn't view it as a fail or pass thing, just a guideline to properly fuel your body. If you have cereal for breakfast you probably don't want a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner. Does that make sense?

Dietary fat is essential to proper health.

Absolutely But 100 calories in fudge (processed carbs/butter) is different than 100 calories in roasted carrots with an olive oil drizzle(veggies/healthy fat).
    The macros are guidelines for a balanced diet. For losing weight, it will be calories. For FEELING your best, a balanced food plan would be best.
    I could eat 1600 calories every day in Fruit Loops, but I probably won't feel very good.
  • phitnessjunky
    phitnessjunky Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    It may. You aren't properly fueling your body if most of what you're eating is carbs and fat. Vegetables and protein are healthier and less processed. I don't really worry about my carbs or fat. I do aim to hit my protein because I feel fuller longer.
    I wouldn't view it as a fail or pass thing, just a guideline to properly fuel your body. If you have cereal for breakfast you probably don't want a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner. Does that make sense?

Absolutely But 100 calories in fudge (processed carbs/butter) is different than 100 calories in roasted carrots with an olive oil drizzle(veggies/healthy fat).
    The macros are guidelines for a balanced diet. For losing weight, it will be calories. For FEELING your best, a balanced food plan would be best.
    I could eat 1600 calories every day in Fruit Loops, but I probably won't feel very good.
    Really, fudge is different than carrots....thank god your here. :)

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Go under on protein and you may have some unintended side-effects like brittle nails or losing hair.
    Go under on fat and you may have trouble maintaining sustained energy through the day.
    Cut out carbs and you will go in to Ketosis and smell like nail polish.

A little red isn't bad. Make changes if you are getting BIG PULSING red every day.

You will lose weight no matter how you mess with your macros, as long as you stay in a deficit.

Only for the first month
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member

Vegetables are carbs...

OP, what are the suggested macros that MFP has set for you? I thought mine were ridiculous, and use a macro calculator to make my own goals instead. Whilst the macros aren't important for weight loss, they'll have an impact on health, as well as the type of weight lost.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member

When did I say anything about fudge? Nice strawman. Who says fudge can't be included in a well balance diet even if I did say eat fudge? Show me one person here that said they eat 1600 calories in front loops. Don't go creating extreme examples just to try and prove your point, it's weak. And you won't hit your protein and fat minimums which is essential. I fit ice cream into my diet everyday, are you telling me I don't look good, feel good and am healthy?

How is the glucose in fudge metabolized different then the glucose in fruits or vegetables? And don't say fiber because that's not the answer.
    I never said anything about YOU. And my whole post was about balance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Hi, i really thought i was getting the whole burn more than what you consume thing, to lose weight. until the macros were confusing me. If you lose weight through more calories out then in, then why do you have to eat under a certain amount of carbs, fat and protien. example: i always stay under my 1700 calorie def. im 5ft5 and 207IBs with moderate activity. I have been losing weight, by exercising and either sticking to my 1700 or going under. But when i look at my macro, nutrition values for the day, i always go over my carbs and fat. Will going over my macro eventually effect my weight loss, even though im sticking to my calories and exercising?? I really dont get it.

being off on your macros will not affect your weight loss, going over on calories will.

calorie deficit for weight loss
    micro/macro adherence for body composition

so as you lose more weight and get leaner, you will want to focus more on macros and micros; however, in the beginning a calorie deficit is all that you need to lose weight..

I would recommend trying to keep protein high and doing some form of strength training to minimize muscle loss…

• ndj1979

and here we go ..

100 calories of fudge = 100 calories of carrots. however, they do not have the same nutritional value.

also, no one is advocating 1600 calories a day of fruit loops, that is a ridiculous straw man argument..

I think we hit bingo with this post...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »

and here we go ..

100 calories of fudge = 100 calories of carrots. however, they do not have the same nutritional value.

That's what the poster you're responding is saying. Fudge has virtually no EFA content - roasted carrots in OO does.

Indeed.
  • ndj1979
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

and here we go ..

That's what the poster you're responding is saying. Fudge has virtually no EFA content - roasted carrots in OO does.

Indeed.

interesting viewpoint, considering the poster said that 100 calories of fudge is "different than" 100 calories of carrots….
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited April 2015
    What he's saying is that 100 calories in fudge vs 100 calories in carrots has absolutely NO difference in terms of weight loss / fat loss. Zero.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015

and here we go ..

Indeed.

interesting viewpoint, considering the poster said that 100 calories of fudge is "different than" 100 calories of carrots….

And it was said in response to a comment on the necessity of fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Great. Now I want fudge AND roasted carrots.

What? I've barely eaten for two weeks. I'm hungry.
  • Mr_Knight

When did I say anything about fudge? Nice strawman. Who says fudge can't be included in a well balance diet even if I did say eat fudge? Show me one person here that said they eat 1600 calories in front loops. Don't go creating extreme examples just to try and prove your point, it's weak. And you won't hit your protein and fat minimums which is essential. I fit ice cream into my diet everyday, are you telling me I don't look good, feel good and am healthy?

How is the glucose in fudge metabolized different then the glucose in fruits or vegetables? And don't say fiber because that's not the answer.
    I never said anything about YOU. And my whole post was about balance.

And what was the point of comparing fudge to carrots and oil if I said fat was essential if you're talking about balance?

and here we go ..

Indeed.

And it was said in response to a comment on the necessity of fat.

And his response to my post made no sense.

Already answered - one of the foods has important fats, the other doesn't.

The connection is clear.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Great. Now I want fudge AND roasted carrots.

What? I've barely eaten for two weeks. I'm hungry.
    Roasted carrot fudge?
    carrot-fudge.jpg
    j/k
    Roasted-Carrots-Recipe-2.jpg

Those look pretty good. I wonder how the flavor is?
    ChocolateFudge.jpg

Not sure how you feel about nuts in fudge, but hey, essential fat.