How did you feel when you reached your goal?

Options
I am 36 years old and a mom of three. My weight loss journey has been super hard and emotional. I am 5'3 and lost about 19 lbs a few weeks after my third baby, but still needed to lose about 40 lbs to get to my goal of 129. I am 6 pounds away and feeling super emotional.....was not really prepared for that part. Weight loss is extremely challenging and the mental part was the worst for me (like not being able to eat what my children and husband were eating or not going out as much because I did not want to cheat). I am really happy...but feel like I will cry like a baby when I reach my goal. I never blog, but I felt like anyone who uses MFP would understand since this is mostly how I lost my weight. Anyone felt like me after reaching their goal....happy, but also really emotionally about the whole experience? Well wishes to you all on your weight loss journey!

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you on your progress! :)

What's weird is I'm normally a very emotional person yet at three pounds from goal weight I feel nothing at all. No pride. It's pretty weird!

Then again, ask me tomorrow. I may have a different answer.
  • mamatothelils
    mamatothelils Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ginger! Congrats to you as well on nearly reaching your goal. I am curious to know how you feel when you get to your goal?
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

For me it was an amazing feeling when I reached my goal (I've never been this small as an adult). I did the hard work and finally reached it! It was almost like I couldn't believe it.

In a weird way though I didn't feel relieved or content. Reaching my goal actually made me want to keep going, stay focused and not gain the weight back.

Two years later I'm still in that mindset. I know it can be very easy to put weight back on so I stay humble and thankful.

Good luck!

• mamatothelils
    Options
    Rainbow198...2 years maintaining is a great accomplishment...something you said that is really important is that reaching your goal made you want to keep going...I know this is the mindset I will need to adopt to maintain my weight. Thanks so much!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've reached my goal a couple of times in the past, but it was always a letdown. I always felt that it was never enough and that I still didn't look or feel the way I had expected to. When people complimented me on my appearance I felt nothing, and I was irritated when men I had known as friends for several years were all of a sudden 'interested' in me.

Hopefully I've become a bit wiser (as well as older) and will enjoy it this time around. I've realised a few things along the way: (a) getting skinny doesn't change your body shape; (b) ... and therefore just because you can fit into smaller sizes it doesn't mean everything you try on is going to look great; (c) when your entire focus is on losing weight you can oddly empty and aimless once the mission is accomplished; and finally, (d) thin people have bad days too!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    just happy not very emotional
  • reyesmi
    reyesmi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!! I was almost 200lbs years ago, I got my weight down to around 135 ish, through a lot of fluctuation on the way there. I was too happy!!....I went back to my old ways of eating. I wasn't really always happy with my healthy choices like you described. I'm back at it again looking to keep around 150 but a stronger me. My cal around 2k I think i could become happier with my choices with the occasional splurge. Good luck on your journey!!
  • mamatothelils
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone. My husband is very supportive, but since he has never struggled with his weight it can be hard to fully understand. I appreciate the kind words and encouragement.
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had several different (sometimes contradictory) emotions at goal which I reached about 8 weeks ago.

I felt relieved and happy because I knew I would be increasing my calories and be able to treat myself a bit more(even if that increase was only 100-200 cals per week.)

I also felt a bit let down because that magic number on the scale no longer seemed magic. I was essentially what some on here term "skinny fat." I essentially had to go on a body recomp mission to get my measurements and tone back to where it had been before at my magic number.

NOW, 8 weeks later, I have lost essentially NO weight (though I do "range" about a pound less) but have lost about 12 inches amongst my arms, calves, thighs, waist, hips, and bra strap area. So NOW my reaction to reaching goal is that I feel great pride and happiness.

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I felt like I still had work to do and that the "goal" that I had in mind (a number on the scale) wasn't as satisfying as I had imagined. But all of that was ok because it meant that I had no excuse to feel "done" and to quit. So I reassessed my goals, started a new routine, started working with a trainer, etc. I'm a work in progress and may always be so, but being ok with that took some time. However, realizing that took a lot of the pressure off that I was feeling from being at "goal" but not 100% satisfied yet. Now I take one day, one meal and one workout at a time and am working toward health, strength and fitness. It's good.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Happy, proud, satisfied, slightly surprised, optimistic for the future as I've learned a new skill.

Also annoyed with myself for staying fat for 20 years.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Anyone felt like me after reaching their goal....happy, but also really emotionally about the whole experience? Well wishes to you all on your weight loss journey!

Yes I felt this way..and made a transnational video on YouTube to get it all the emotion out. It was a life change...something I didn't think that could happen so fast. This is normal...so is the fear of reverting. I challenge you to set new goals...even if it is to maintain what you have achieved...and hey....once you go on maintenance you get to EAT MORE as you are not at a deficit...so have a family date night and cheat once a week...it is something I started a year ago and it works out great for everyone. It is something we look forward to.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep going...

Robert

• krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :grin:

I was shocked when I hit my goal weight. I'd been working at it for four years (only started here in Nov. '14) and I was four pounds away and had stalled for two weeks. And then I stepped on the scale and bam, I'd reached it. I was excited and accomplished, and felt NOWHERE near ready for maintenance. I'd been losing about a pound a week, so I figured I'd have a little time to adjust. NOPE. And then I lost three more pounds the next week.

Now I'm terrified of gaining any of that weight back, but I'm starting to loosen up a bit. I run a lot and eat sensibly, so I've given myself a bit more leeway with eating what I enjoy as I bump up my calories.

I still have family members that are worried that I'm about to delve into a full-fledged eating disorder based on how determined I am to track (and the odd day where I'm so burnt out on track I just want to be like the blissful masses and eat Chinese for lunch and not feel guilty). But I'm still learning and raising my calories. I'm always eager to learn, and I hope to start body recomp soon (as soon as I wrap my head around the 'bulking' part of it, anyway).

Being on the forums has helped A LOT! I always come here and I usually feel better about my eating. Last weekend I was worried about the food situation at a bonfire I was attending, and lo-and-behold, someone posted something similar.

I ate, I had a good time, I came home, gained two pounds (which is in my range) and I'm back down today. So all good! :sunglasses:

So good luck, and you go this!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didn't feel that emotional because it didn't approach my weight loss the way you do. And haven't approached my maintenance that way (almost 3 years). So congratulations! And some thoughts.

My goal was to lose weight to stay healthy. In particular, I didn't want to get diabetes, which runs in my family. I had an immediate goal (back to healthy BMI), a hoped for goal (back to what I was after I finished nursing my youngest), and a 'no way am I ever going to do that' goal of getting back to my college weight. I wound up doing all three and have maintained.

To hit my goal I needed to STAY at weight, which is different than just getting there. But all I did was ready my diary really careful and pick and choose what I ate from my normal diet. I DO eat what everyone else in my family eats - just less than my kids (who are growing boys) and less than my son. I have ice cream every night - just 1/4 cup around 9 instead of a bowl.

I realized looking at my diary that I could drop just a few things back in what I was eating and save hundreds of calories. For me it was big glasses of milk, 2 slices of good bread with my sandwiches, and cheese. Dropped that and I basically had my deficit. Now I eat low carb tortillas and have rollups, drink more water, and save cheese for when I really want some.

I stopped snacking on nuts and figs (that's a LOT of dense calories) and ate them in smaller amounts. I learned that protein had a lot fewer calories than I thought and rice and potatoes had a lot more.

I eat pizza by the slice not the pie.

So the changes in my diet weren't that big. I always go out with buddies to eat when I want to. I split lunches with my husband out a couple of times a week. And I eat anything that I want to - in smaller amounts than I used to.

As you're making the transition to maintenance - which is FOREVER - maybe you should go through your diary to see where your big calorie sops are. Then you can make some small adjustments when you hit that goal you worked so hard to get to, up your calories, and get out and enjoy being with your family. You want to keep off that weight you fought so hard for.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Not as excited as I should but relieved
  • ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was frozen I. After 7 months, I finally saw that magic number appear... My heart was pounding so hard. Now I am in maintenance, and doing well- still working out 6 days a week and eating 1200 to 1600 calories a day. I feel proud to that I did it on my own, and stayed the course. Won't ever go back. :)
  • lchillies
    lchillies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight recently after a few years of dieting, in the past year ive had a massive overhaul and started clean eating and finally reached where ive always wanted to be. I dont feel great, as i still dont see the image i want when i look in the mirror. So i have started a new plan to weight train, eat a bit more and hopefully get a bit leaner. Lets see how this goes!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Happy, proud, satisfied, slightly surprised, optimistic for the future as I've learned a new skill.

Also annoyed with myself for staying fat for 20 years.

This...super annoyed as it wasn't as hard as I expected...I just set new goals for myself.

I stayed in range of my last goal for about 6 months then went on vacation...hehe.

Decided for a new goal this time just to see if I like it better (only 5 extra lbs) and once I reach that I will go into maintenance/recomp mode again......and wait till next years vacation....
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am seeing numbers on the scale that I didn't think I would ever see again in my life. I'm really surprised to see them.

I am also determined to keep it off, and at the same time scared about whether or not I will manage to.

I also feel empowered with the new knowledge I have gained.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've reached my goal a couple of times in the past, but it was always a letdown. I always felt that it was never enough and that I still didn't look or feel the way I had expected to. When people complimented me on my appearance I felt nothing, and I was irritated when men I had known as friends for several years were all of a sudden 'interested' in me.

Hopefully I've become a bit wiser (as well as older) and will enjoy it this time around. I've realised a few things along the way: (a) getting skinny doesn't change your body shape; (b) ... and therefore just because you can fit into smaller sizes it doesn't mean everything you try on is going to look great; (c) when your entire focus is on losing weight you can oddly empty and aimless once the mission is accomplished; and finally, (d) thin people have bad days too!

So relate to this -thank you!