Switching from Atkins to normal-balanced diet?

Options
sandsofarabia
sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been on Atkins for over a month now. I know that many of you disagree with this diet but it's fine for me..

The thing is, I will be in France for in July without access to the low-carb foods (and will basically only be provided normal-carbed foods).

I'm ok with going off the diet and switching to the normal diet by the time this summer hits but I'm worried about gaining weight .... If I keep up with my calorie countings (and keep a balanced diet) while I'm there, would I gain weight because I'm going off such a carb-restricting diet? Or do you think that I will be fine as long as I don't go back to eating whole bags of chips like before?

I just really hope this diet hasn't wrecked my metabolism is all...

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are going to be fine. Going low carb does not mess up metabolism.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Changing your macros doesn't change your metabolism. Exercise and body mass change your metoblism.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You should gain water weight with the increased carbs you store.
    But this is also increased LBM, and increased metabolism, as the body has to manage that water in the cells.

Just keep in mind the math, because fat is not fast loss or gain.

lbs x 3500 / days between change = deficit or surplus to eating level if it truly IS just fat.

Like I'd bet you gain 3 lbs over your whole body (so not noticeable) in 4 days.
    3 x 3500 / 4 = 2625 surplus if you thought it was fat.

Since I doubt you'll even be eating this much in general, obviously you couldn't have eaten that much in excess of maintenance (not diet level, maintenance) each day for 4 days.

It's natural - just as natural as blood volume increases from exercise or summer sweating. And hopefully no one would think it would be a good idea to drain some blood to drop some weight.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You should gain water weight with the increased carbs you store.
    But this is also increased LBM, and increased metabolism, as the body has to manage that water in the cells.

Just keep in mind the math, because fat is not fast loss or gain.

lbs x 3500 / days between change = deficit or surplus to eating level if it truly IS just fat.

Like I'd bet you gain 3 lbs over your whole body (so not noticeable) in 4 days.
    3 x 3500 / 4 = 2625 surplus if you thought it was fat.

Since I doubt you'll even be eating this much in general, obviously you couldn't have eaten that much in excess of maintenance (not diet level, maintenance) each day for 4 days.

It's natural - just as natural as blood volume increases from exercise or summer sweating. And hopefully no one would think it would be a good idea to drain some blood to drop some weight.

Sorry to hijack this thread but thank you very much for that post. I'm going away in a few weeks and I was worried about gaining back weight that I've lost recently. Actually started freaking out worrying if i could stay under maintenance whilst everyone else was shoving ice - cream into their faces. That makes me feel much better.