Something I can't get my head round.

Options

Replies

• Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have wonky work hours... so some days I eat a bowl of cereal (Special K with berries + almond milk = 125 cals) measured out, and usually for lunch I eat a turkey wrap and a pudding cup which is 248 calories. I usually score an orange, a couple cuties or a granola bar (100, 80 and 90 cals respectively) between those two. 20 calories for pre-work out energy drink thing. This brings me to about 493 calories (or 483, or 473 depending on the snack) ... before I hit the gym. An hour later, I've burned off at least 250 - 400 calories, depending on what I just did on the treadmill. So... by the time I go home and eat dinner, I have nearly all of my calories back for the day give or take 200. Thus it's somewhat difficult for me to hit 1200, but I make sure I do with pasta, sushi, or boiled / baked chicken.

I will note that I'm not complaining though lol, I drink enough water through my day that I'm not hungry and if I am hungry, then I eat one of those snacks. If I feel like I should eat, I do. I'm averaging about 1300 calories daily after I hit the "finish" button.

I'm down 8lbs in 2 weeks so... whatever I'm doing, I'm doing it right *for me*. Clearly the diet of pizza, chinese take out and Taco Bell that got me to this point was not doing it right. I don't expect this whole losing this fast to last, I'm sure that at some point my body will catch up and I'll have to figure something else out, but it's working for now *shrug*
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think it was hard for 2 reasons for me at first
    1) I tended to 'hold" calories for later in the day b/c I was scared I'd be hungry. But if I had 1000 calories left on the day, I found I wasn't that hungry for dinner
    2) If I have 200-300 calories left at the end of the day, I really struggle with what to eat.. so I tend to either not eat them, or over eat.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I cant get my head around the fact that they have to make a post about it and not come up with the idea them self to eat a spoon of peanut butter or a avocado or whatever.
    Cook in some extra olive oil or some more olive oil in the salad.
    Or plan better.

It all sounds more to me like an excuse of "see i am overweight but not from eating to much"
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Not a day goes by without me reading words to the like of ' I struggle to reach my calorie goal' or ' yeah when I used to struggle to reach 1200 calories I would just have a tablespoon of peanut butter'. How can anyone ever ( especially people who use this particular forum) struggle to get to 1200 on a daily basis?!?!?! What am I missing? I'm not picking on people here, genuinely intrigued if there is something I don't know.

They suck at logging their calorie intake.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I cant get my head around the fact that they have to make a post about it and not come up with he idea them self to eat a spoon of peanut butter or a avocado or whatever.
    Or plan better.

It all sounds more to me like an excuse of "see i am overweight but not from eating to much"

tpe8vlm8i8a3.gif
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    **bows*** lol
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I cant get my head around the fact that they have to make a post about it and not come up with the idea them self to eat a spoon of peanut butter or a avocado or whatever.
    Or plan better.

+1
  • Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Screw that lol, I hereby proclaim that I am a tub of lard because I ate wayyyy too much crap for like ten years. *plants fat kid flag* But I hope I learn through this process how to portion better so that at some point I can eat tiny bits of crap... because it's so tasty. :cry: For now, I'll "suffer" through the semi-tasty better for you stuffs. :smiley:

• BWBTrish
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lizadizzle wrote: »

Screw that lol, I hereby proclaim that I am a tub of lard because I ate wayyyy too much crap for like ten years. *plants fat kid flag* But I hope I learn through this process how to portion better so that at some point I can eat tiny bits of crap... because it's so tasty. :cry: For now, I'll "suffer" through the semi-tasty better for you stuffs. :smiley:

i said " it sounds to me"

I just dont see the use of posting here on the forum when i dont reach my calorie allowance.
    And again...to mE it sounds if you dont use your brains your self to think...oh wait lets use salad dressing tonight ( 170 calories a 28 gr) to reach my calorie allowance...

This is my opinion..

To say it very unfriendly it sounds dumb to me.... ( not saying a person is dumb btw...)

I just read a post like that and learned to close the post again...... Hope i can stick to that. Sometimes i just want to say THAN EAT SOMETHINGGGGGG!!!!!!

• bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't identify with people who consistently eat under their goal. The only time I have eaten under my calorie goal is when I don't feel well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can see how someone might have trouble eating 1200 calories of chicken breast and broccoli, but not how someone can have trouble eating WAY more than that, especially if they are overweight - nor how the idea "ask the forum" can be a more obvious solution than "oh, I'll just eat something of what I used to eat" :s

In my opinion it has to be mostly humblebragging. People can't be that unimaginative?

Sometimes, but I think sometimes they are just looking for reassurance: either they want to be told it's okay to eat 1000, it won't hurt their ability to lose/health, or they want to be told it's okay not to eat diet food.

And even the diet food people I don't think it's that they are so stuffed they can't eat; I think it's that they can't imagine wanting to eat more of their limited menus. I overdid it when I started (before I was logging) and was satisfied enough (lots of different kinds of veggies, standard servings of meat, cut carbs a lot), but when I saw how low I was it was quite easy to adjust--larger meat servings, more carbs, add back in more cheese and oil and nuts. Common sense even if you are on a "eat only super healthy" kind of kick. But common sense that required that I not assume that it made me a pig to eat more than the prescribed serving size of meat, and that it wasn't anti diet to eat cheese or chicken with skin or beef or egg yolks, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It's worth noting that some people are very short and some people don't *need* as many calories as other people. I am short. I only burn about 1500-1700 calories a day. So this is the maximum I can eat (assuming no exercise) without putting on weight over time. To lose weight at around 1lb a week, I can only eat around 1000-1200 calories a day and I'm still at the top end of my healthy weight range.
    So I have to make those calories count and mostly choose protein and fats to keep me full. Low calorie 'diet' foods don't work for me.
    Being short sucks!

You aren't posting about how you can't possibly imagine eating more, however.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's worth noting that some people are very short and some people don't *need* as many calories as other people. I am short. I only burn about 1500-1700 calories a day. So this is the maximum I can eat (assuming no exercise) without putting on weight over time. To lose weight at around 1lb a week, I can only eat around 1000-1200 calories a day and I'm still at the top end of my healthy weight range.
    So I have to make those calories count and mostly choose protein and fats to keep me full. Low calorie 'diet' foods don't work for me.
    Being short sucks!

You aren't posting about how you can't possibly imagine eating more, however.

Right, I'm very short too and 1200 only gets me one pound per week, even at my biggest it wasn't much more. But I exercise to try and get extra because 1200 is sad. :cry: This notion of "Oh I am full and cannot eat another bite" does not make sense to me. Bah. Humbug!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Not a day goes by without me reading words to the like of ' I struggle to reach my calorie goal' or ' yeah when I used to struggle to reach 1200 calories I would just have a tablespoon of peanut butter'. How can anyone ever ( especially people who use this particular forum) struggle to get to 1200 on a daily basis?!?!?! What am I missing? I'm not picking on people here, genuinely intrigued if there is something I don't know.

I've spent the past year working on eating more. Now I'm finally at a healthy intake. It was pretty difficult for me to get there though. I've never been a big eater - I don't eat emotionally, or binge, or eat a whole bag of chips. I got fat because I drank too much soda. Too much (or even enough) food was a foreign concept to me. I still tell myself "I'm going to eat IT ALL today" and I wind up like 20 calories over my goal.
    Lizadizzle wrote: »

i said " it sounds to me"

I just dont see the use of posting here on the forum when i dont reach my calorie allowance.
    And again...to mE it sounds if you dont use your brains your self to think...oh wait lets use salad dressing tonight ( 170 calories a 28 gr) to reach my calorie allowance...

This is my opinion..

To say it very unfriendly it sounds dumb to me.... ( not saying a person is dumb btw...)

I just read a post like that and learned to close the post again...... Hope i can stick to that. Sometimes i just want to say THAN EAT SOMETHINGGGGGG!!!!!!

I was one of those. I was full. So eating a scoop of peanut butter wasn't an option, unless I wanted to make myself sick (never mind the fact that peanut butter is gross). So you can make all the assumptions you want - but if you've never been there, maybe you should keep those assumptions to yourself. I worked very hard to get to a healthy intake level and having someone dismiss that particular struggle is fairly insulting. I knew I wasn't eating enough and I obviously wasn't fixing it on my own - so yeah, I asked for help for ways to get more calories in without adding excess food that I wouldn't be able to physically eat.

PS, I don't like salad dressing.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The other day, I messed around with breakfast and lunch such that I had only almost all protein left for dinner. I ate more pork loin than I had in more than a year. It was a lot of pork and I wasn't sure if I could finish it. Granted, I'm eating more than 1200 but I can see how someone might have trouble eating 1200 calories of chicken breast and broccoli.

I don't know ANYONE who could eat that much of only chicken breast and broccoli! Oh, my, no wonder so many people fall off of strict diets!

1200 in chicken and brocoli ? Pffft that is easy. Cook it in butter and use some bbq sauce. Could be done in 1 meal fairly easy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Danniiiiii wrote: »
    I struggle some days to reach 1200 calories but I go to the gym everyday and burn off at least 500, so in total I'm supposed to eat 1700 and that's difficult.
    Just add in more high calorie options. Oils, avocado, peanut butter are a few.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    The other day, I messed around with breakfast and lunch such that I had only almost all protein left for dinner. I ate more pork loin than I had in more than a year. It was a lot of pork and I wasn't sure if I could finish it. Granted, I'm eating more than 1200 but I can see how someone might have trouble eating 1200 calories of chicken breast and broccoli.

I don't know ANYONE who could eat that much of only chicken breast and broccoli! Oh, my, no wonder so many people fall off of strict diets!

1200 in chicken and brocoli ? Pffft that is easy. Cook it in butter and use some bbq sauce. Could be done in 1 meal fairly easy.

Right, or olive oil, or eat chicken with the skin. Or add some pine nuts or slivered almonds to the broccoli, that's tasty.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Basically they're kidding themselves...they've gone from overweight, so clearly over eating, to not being able to stomach 1200, yeah right.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    people get hooked into eating "healthy" and "clean" and those so called foods are not calorie dense so if you are eating vegetables and chicken all day you are going to have a hard time getting to 1200….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eukleja wrote: »
    Before MFP, I ate crap food. But I didn't eat a lot of it. I've never been able to eat a lot in one sitting but I got fat because what I did eat was crap (burgers, pastas, pizza, desserts loaded with sugar, etc). Since I switched to 75% clean eating or so, I'm still eating the same AMOUNT of food, just less calories. And since I won't allow myself to eat burgers and crap, some days it's hard to get to 1200 calories.

I also don't know if anyone mentioned it, but I tend to be busy during the day and eat more of my calories at night... My breakfast is 175-225 calories, lunch is 330 calories, and dinner is about 450 calories. If I have a snack, it'll be 100-200 calories depending on what it is. But if I never get hungry enough/I'm too busy to have my snack, that leaves me needing 100-200 calories and if I had a late dinner, I'm still full and trying to figure out if I should force feed myself, or just deal with the fact that I'm short that day...

why is that food "crap"?