bcaa advice

can anyone please advice me on taking bcaa tablets. Like when to take them and how often.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited April 2015
    People who are fans of BCAA (me not being one of them) would advise during/around workouts, and in between meals.

In my opinion if you are already consuming enough protein from a variety of sources taking more BCAA isn't going to give you any noticeable results.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    I'm still forming an opinion on them, but if you are going to take them, then get off the pills and do a powder that mixes with water so you can "chug" them. The point is that they don't spend time digesting and get faster to skeletal muscle.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    cajuntank wrote: »
    I'm still forming an opinion on them, but if you are going to take them, then get off the pills and do a powder that mixes with water so you can "chug" them. The point is that they don't spend time digesting and get faster to skeletal muscle.
    Powder bypasses digestion, nice and my muscles won't disappear, a win win. j/k

• cajuntank
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Powder bypasses digestion, nice and my muscles won't disappear, a win win. j/k

I should have worded it better, but pills will spend more time breaking down thus stomach acid will render more of the powder moot than if already dissolved in water.
  • Alipop
    Alipop Posts: 15 Member
    Some BCAAs are just damn tasty. I drink a lot of one brand that is white grape flavour. I never used to drink water now I get in a ton. Is too much BCAAs bad for me?
  • cajuntank
    They do have caloric content, so be mindful of that (so 5 grams of BCAA = 20 calories). They lack the essential amino acids found in foods, so if your food protein intake is suffering due to BCAAs taking up your allotment of daily protein, then you might be taking too much. Again, for myself, I am still forming an opinion on their efficacy. I am currently not taking them like I was in the past and have not noticed any change in recovery (but I do get a lot of protein in daily and spread out across several meals, so that alone might make BCAAs moot).