Tracking exercise when using MFP with Fitbit

Options
anewken
anewken Posts: 8 Member
I started using MFP to track my food and made manual entries for my exercise. Now I have included Fitbit in the equation and have them syncing with each other. Just to be sure I am doing things correctly, I should stop doing manual entries of my exercise in MFP because Fitbit is handling adjustments based upon my exercise. Is this correct? Just don't want to give myself credit or more exercise than I really do.

Replies

• Pamelawilkie
    Pamelawilkie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined today and I read that you're not supposed to use Fitbit to track exercise. You're supposed to enter exercise manually into MFP by entering an exercise type and start time. Fitbit is just for daily steps, calorie burn and tracking sleep. Not sure I understand why. I wish MFP had the capability to track running and other cardio rather than having to log it after the fact. I like to use an app to track my runs as they're happening. I'm now trying to figure out if I can sync a different exercise tracking app with MFP. In any case, I can't use Fitbit to log my runs anymore, as it's now synced with MFP.
  • aprilh576
    aprilh576 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been using fitbit for awhile and just let fitbit track my exercise. I never log my exercise on here And working just great for me.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit tracks steps per day, exercise, general moderate/intense activity, what I eat, and when I sleep. When I sync it with MFP I do my food journal on MFP and my exercise on Fitbit. But I also have a calories burn calculator. I run the exercise through that and if the calories are different then I edit the exercise in Fitbit.

This is the site that has the exercise calculator but it has all kinds of fitness calculators.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators/
  • ssimeral
    ssimeral Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pamela - you can use Runkeeper to track runs while they are happening and it will sync to both FitBit and MFP if you want it to.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I let fitbit track my activity. Then I go into the fitbit dashboard and log in the exercise start time and duration. It already knows how intense that was based on my stats. Then it adjusts my calorie allowance on MFP for me. Seems to be working well for me. I am still loosing steadily. The only thing I miss out on is that it does not show up in MFP on my home page for discussion with MFP friends.

There is a FAQ on this subject in the Fitbit group here.
  • SUNNYDAY77
    SUNNYDAY77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hey thank you so much for the website it's great
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Enable negative calorie adjustments and let your tracker do it's work.