Low carbers- need dessert recipe/ideas for potluck

Options
Lounmoun
Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
Dh has a work potluck in a few days and has to bring a low carb dessert.
We don't eat low carb at home so I don't know what would be good. I think it will need to be enough for 10-15 people.
I would prefer not to replace sugar in a recipe with an artificial sweetener because we don't use that at our house but if your dessert is awesome and uses that stuff then go ahead and post it. Ingredients that are already artificially sweetened or naturally sweet are probably better though.
I appreciate any recipe ideas.

Replies

• kellyfrasher
    kellyfrasher Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pretzel jello salad is a great recipe to switch to low carb. Use a 13x9 pan. The typical bottom layer is crushed pretzels with butter. I replace the pretzels with chopped walnuts. The middle layer is 8 oz cream cheese, softened & mixed with a container of cool whip. Spread that over the pretzel/walnut crust. The top layer is strawberry jello(use sugar free), mixed according to package directions but add sliced strawberries in too. Pour over cream layer. Chill overnight or until jello is set. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chocolate avocado mousse is lovely with lots of healthy fats and fiber and tastes very rich. http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dark-chocolate-avocado-mousse/
    Just use stevia instead of cane sugar for even lower carbs. You can use Dutch cocoa powder or cocoa nibs instead of chocolate chips for even lower carbs.
    Unfortunately not a cheap dessert for 10-15 people, but so worth it.
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I guess it is actually more likely to be 6 people now.
    I've made the pretzel jello salad before and the nuts sound like they would be tasty instead of pretzels. I'm intrigued by the chocolate avocado mousse.
    I found this also-> food.com/recipe/strawberry-shimmer-south-beach-462722
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Here is one that I used to make. A little labor intensive, but really good.

Chocolate Hazelnut Souffle Cake

8 oz bittersweet chocolate
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 Tbsp espresso or very strong coffee
    1/2 cup finely ground hazelnuts
    8 large eggs, separated, plus 4 egg whites
    6 Tbsp granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 375. Butter a 9 inch springform pan with 5 inch sides. If you do not have a springform pan, you can use a square pan.

Melt the chocolate over simmering water in a double boiler. Blend the cream into the melted chocolate. Remove from the heat and stir in the espresson, hazelnuts and egg yolks.

Beat the 12 eggs whites to soft peaks while slowly adding the sugar. Whisk 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites carefully.

Pour the batter into the springform pan and bake until set, 25-30 minutes. Place on a rack to cool.

You can serve this as is, with whipped cream or with Strawberry - Raspberry Compote.

Strawberry-Raspberry Compote

2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into fouths
    1 cup raspberries
    2 Tbsp granulated sugar (optional)

Puree half if the berries in a food processor. Drain in a sieve to remove seeds. Process the other half of the berries and strain. You may want to add sugar depending on the ripeness of the berries.
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    That sounds really tasty too!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ibreatheimhungry.com it's a low carb website
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    Thanks for the website suggestion!
    I went with the strawberry shimmer dessert. Dh said people seemed to like it although he did not eat any of it today.