Exercise calories

Options
So I'm aware that MFP overestimates calories burned when you enter an exercise. What I've been doing is entering the calories the actual exercise equipment tells me I'm burning, although I am pretty sure this is overestimated as well.
After reading a lot on the forums, I've decided to start logging my exercise every day and eat back some of my exercise calories (since I've been so damn hungry), so I want it to be as accurate as possible.
Should I only log a certain percentage of the calories it shows I'm burning, and if so what percentage?
Today I used the elliptical for 30 minutes at level 12 going between 6.5-8mph. MFP said I burned 385 calories, the elliptical said 369, and I logged it as 350. Does this sound like it'd be more accurate? Should I cut more, and if so, how much more?
I don't like how MFP shows the same amount of calories no matter how fast you're going or how much resistance you've got it on. :\

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do what you're doing and give it a few weeks. If you're losing then don't change it, if you stall or gain then scale back on your exercise calories.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this.

Go by your results relative to your diet, not what some calculator or estimate says. Eat less if you're gaining more than expected and vice versa.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Do what you're doing and give it a few weeks. If you're losing then don't change it, if you stall or gain then scale back on your exercise calories.

This.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    if you think mfp is not accurate on their exercise calories check other sites... Some are laughable. It can fluctuate 300 or more calories and hour. I do water exercises for 60 min daily. No idea how many calories I am really burning. I check about 3 sites and go for the low to middle average.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some people can eat all their exercise calories and lose at their expected rate. Some have to eat only a percentage. Calories burned are estimates for everyone - more accurate for some than others.

Since you're going to start eating them back for the first time, you may want to start with anywhere from 50-75% (or you could even go with 100%) and see how it goes for a reasonable amount of time. For instance, two weeks is not enough time. I'd go with a minimum of four, or even six. Then you can adjust your percentage up or down from there. Point is, you have to try it out and give it time to see how off the estimates are for you.

Also, make sure your logging is accurate. I think sometimes people think they don't lose when they eat their exercise calories because their logging isn't accurate to begin with. If you're estimating or using cups rather than weighing your food, your logging will not be as accurate as it good be and your deficit will be affected.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Some people can eat all their exercise calories and lose at their expected rate. Some have to eat only a percentage. Calories burned are estimates for everyone - more accurate for some than others.

Since you're going to start eating them back for the first time, you may want to start with anywhere from 50-75% (or you could even go with 100%) and see how it goes for a reasonable amount of time. For instance, two weeks is not enough time. I'd go with a minimum of four, or even six. Then you can adjust your percentage up or down from there. Point is, you have to try it out and give it time to see how off the estimates are for you.

Also, make sure your logging is accurate. I think sometimes people think they don't lose when they eat their exercise calories because their logging isn't accurate to begin with. If you're estimating or using cups rather than weighing your food, your logging will not be as accurate as it good be and your deficit will be affected.

Thanks so much for your input!
    I recently got a food scale, so since then my calorie count has been very accurate. Even before then I would try to estimate the weight rather than in other measurements (i.e. Knowing I have a pound of ground turkey, trying to divide it evenly into 4ths so I know I have about 4oz of meat.)
    I'll try it for several weeks and see how it goes. I probably won't be eating more than 50-75% of my exercise calories back unless it's a special circumstance.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    So I'm aware that MFP overestimates calories burned when you enter an exercise. What I've been doing is entering the calories the actual exercise equipment tells me I'm burning, although I am pretty sure this is overestimated as well.
    After reading a lot on the forums, I've decided to start logging my exercise every day and eat back some of my exercise calories (since I've been so damn hungry), so I want it to be as accurate as possible.
    Should I only log a certain percentage of the calories it shows I'm burning, and if so what percentage?
    Today I used the elliptical for 30 minutes at level 12 going between 6.5-8mph. MFP said I burned 385 calories, the elliptical said 369, and I logged it as 350. Does this sound like it'd be more accurate? Should I cut more, and if so, how much more?
    I don't like how MFP shows the same amount of calories no matter how fast you're going or how much resistance you've got it on. :\

I rarely eat back my exercise calories, but I'm not as hungry when I exercise. I save them up for a rainy day.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I think you have the right idea!

I have a Fitbit and use it to determine calorie burns, mostly. If I go for a run, the treadmill will show one number, the Runkeeper app another (usually a little lower), and Fitbit a third number (even lower than Runkeeper). All three have my stats - current height and weight, and Fitbit has my stride length - and I've been eating back 90%ish of my exercise calories and have been losing as expected.

If you're using estimates from machines/MFP, start with eating back a portion of the calories - say, 50%. Do that for 4 weeks, and see how your weight changes. If you're losing too fast, you can eat more. Losing too slow, you need to scale back to 25%.

Good luck!

~LYssa
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have been going of of the fitbit adjustments based on my actual activity as well. It's a lot easier than trying to guess about exercise estimates on MFP although they are actually not that much different. I used to log 2/3 of my workout time to try to compensate and then I was also not eating back very many calories. What I really noticed was my ability to think and concentrate was suffering so I had to increase my intake. It slowed down my loss some but I need my brain to work properly more than I need to loose weight faster. So yeah. Listen to your body and make adjustments based on the results you are getting. Of course all of this will take some time to figure out.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Actually, the calories burned on the machines at my gym are pretty comparable to my HRM if I enter my weight. I think you're doing fine with your estimations! Especially if you aren't eating them all back :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it!