Chi seeds / hemp oil OR both daily?

kristen_wino
kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I was using hemp seeds in my smoothies. Then I switched to hemp oil bc you only use 1 tbs as a serving of oil instead of 3 tbs for the hemp hearts. Now I've started hydrating chia seeds in my smoothies and as other mixups. Does anyone know which is better of chi or hemp? Can I consume both in one day.? I'm still new at this healthier lifestyle.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,189 Member
    doesn't matter, eat both if you want.
  • kristen_wino
    Thank you. I just wasn't sure if there was too much of a good thing in the vitamins. And if my body can use all the nutrients. I don't eat seafood anymore. And I need my Omegas. :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    You can have both of them together as they are perfectly healthy. I have them together in my Gluten free oatmeal every now and then.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I think chia seeds are better because they're more stable and higher in omega-3. I have no idea how hemp oil doesn't go rancid right away. Polyunsaturated oils can spoil quickly due to heat, air, and light. Oils are processed and are pure fat, empty calories, not found in nature, etc.

Hemp seeds are nutritious and have much more to offer than the processed oil form. What's better - 100 calories of hemp oil or 100 cals of hemp seeds? One is missing all the micronutrients and fiber. Only problem with hemp is it's higher in omega-6 than 3 and it's not so much the amount of omega fatty acids you're getting in your diet, it's maintaining a ratio under 4:1. This is why I view chia and flax seeds as superior and chia more superior to flax because there is a component that makes it more stable and you also don't have to grind them.

So always choose hemp seeds over hemp oil, olives over olive oil, etc. Whole foods should take priority always.

• carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    I alternate day to day between chia seeds and hemp hearts
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    I just use hemp protein from Nutiva in my protein shakes. 3 tbsp hemp protein, 1 c almond milk, and a frozen banana. So yummy, 15 grams of protein, and lots of potassium. It works for me :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,189 Member
    I think chia seeds are better because they're more stable and higher in omega-3. I have no idea how hemp oil doesn't go rancid right away. Polyunsaturated oils can spoil quickly due to heat, air, and light. Oils are processed and are pure fat, empty calories, not found in nature, etc.

Hemp seeds are nutritious and have much more to offer than the processed oil form. What's better - 100 calories of hemp oil or 100 cals of hemp seeds? One is missing all the micronutrients and fiber. Only problem with hemp is it's higher in omega-6 than 3 and it's not so much the amount of omega fatty acids you're getting in your diet, it's maintaining a ratio under 4:1. This is why I view chia and flax seeds as superior and chia more superior to flax because there is a component that makes it more stable and you also don't have to grind them.

So always choose hemp seeds over hemp oil, olives over olive oil, etc. Whole foods should take priority always.
    More omega in the oil, more nutrients in the seed. Imagine that.

• kristen_wino
    Thank you everyone, for your input. I'm trying to do well to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Ppl I know in my day to day life, don't take much interest in this type of stuff. I'm glad I've found a place where ppl care about it. It's comforting. Thank you all.