To cardio or not to cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You have a cardiovascular system. You should probably be doing something to keep it functioning well.

You have muscles throughout your body. You should probably do a bit to keep them working and functioning too.

This....cardio is great for the heart and mind so dont discount it. Like most I believe you should combine cardio, weight training and most of all a healthy diet. That is the key to success in my mind. But regardless of body composition goals, cardio is great for the heart!
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, but you won't get healthy. It won't help with toning muscles so you're also fit, and it is less likely to improve your heart health, your cholesterol, your blood sugars... You will be thin, but still have a higher fat % than if you were to work out and build muscle while losing fat.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I think too many people view cardio through the prism of weight loss or muscle gain and then dismiss it. Neither are the primary purpose of cardio.

To lose weight : calorie deficit.
    To lose fat : calorie deficit + macro control + resistance training.
    To gain muscle : calorie surplus + macro control + resistance training.
    To improved heart health and recovery time : cardio.
    To improve overall health : calorie control + macro control + resistance training + cardio.

I'll let my results speak for themselves:

In September I was 220 lbs, nearly 40% body fat, my cholesterol was 250, my blood pressure was elevated, and I got winded climbing the stairs or running for my daughter's school bus.

I started calorie and macro control, did the couch to 5k program, and started resistance training. The result - I'm down to 164 lbs, 18% body fat (very little muscle loss), my cholesterol is at 140, my blood pressure is normal, and I run 3 miles, 3 times a week. I don't just run for the school bus now - I can scoop up my daughter and sprint for it. As a happy side effect, I also look better than I have in a decade, and I'm on my way to regaining the body I had at 18 (I'm 35).

Great post and good results.

People need to distinguish between weight loss and FAT loss.

If you are eating too much, some cardio exercise is definitely a good way to bring you back into a deficit. I agree with that you should do whatever you enjoy, not necessarily just jump on an elliptical. My cardio is hiking, mountain climbing and kick boxing between resistance training sets.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When it comes to running and me...Stockholm syndrome