how much caffeine is safe

Just curious how much caffeine is too much. I have a very active job and I got to the gym or do some sort of exercising everyday. I have about 32oz total amount of coffee in the morning a pretty work out a couple times a week. On my caffeine heavy days I'm usually consuming about 500mg. I Dont seem to be having any problems (jitteryness, sleep problems, etc.). Just curious what is definitely too much. Also as a side note, I'm not asking because I want to consume more. Just curious

Replies

• urbanelements
    urbanelements Posts: 7 Member
    *pre work out lol damn auto correct
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    According to the Mayo clinic - Up to 400 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults. That's roughly the amount of caffeine in four cups of brewed coffee, 10 cans of cola or two "energy shot" drinks. Although caffeine use may be safe for adults, it's not a good idea for children.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    400mg is considered safe and no side effects 200mg if pregnant.
    It also becomes less effective the more you use it as you adjust , so its good to take a few breaks once in a while or you build up a tolerance.

Loads of articles on caffeine as well as side effects.
    maybe switch to a non caffeine pre workout.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I believe they don't recommend going over 1600 mg in a day. This includes pills, drinks, and foods. I think it's 100-200 mg every 3-4 hrs.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I believe they don't recommend going over 1600 mg in a day. This includes pills, drinks, and foods. I think it's 100-200 mg every 3-4 hrs.

where did you get 1600mg from?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    999tigger wrote: »

where did you get 1600mg from?

drugs.com....it's the absolute maximum
    it would be equal to taking a 200 mg pill every 3 hrs (it's also the max recommended on my bottle of "stay awake"..."take 1 tablet not more often than every 3 to 4 hours")