Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help with emotional eating

I eat fatty foods to repress my feelings alot, so when I'm trying to avoid these foods all my negative emotions are coming back fast and strong.. it gets too much and then I eat high in fat and sugar foods again, how can I stop/avoid or deal with these emotions?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    No one here can really tell you how to do that, because everyone's situation with their emotional eating is different. Have you ever thought of maybe trying cognitive behavioral therapy?
  • iumu
    iumu Posts: 2 Member
    I used to do a lot of emotional eating too :( what I find helps me is to set a timer, to like an hour, and say to myself, if I can wait until the timer goes off and I still want it, I'll have it. That really works for me because 99% of the time it's a temporary craving! By the end of the hour I'm fine.

Best of luck!
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Therapy. There are bad habits that could cause you to over eat- like my husband who likes to fill up his plate so he has a mountain of food. But if it's too much, he hates leaving food on his plate, so he just eats it all. Those take mostly time and will to manage. But the psychology behind whatever you're dealing with may really need some therapy. If you talk to your gp they can set you up with a counselor or a therapist; if you're a student see if your campus has any free therapy sessions (many do offered a few).
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Sometimes, when I can, I go outside and walk while listening to music. Still,I struggle with the same problem. In fact, that has been my problem for 3 days now. But..when I actually do it...walking does help.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Have you tried writing them (your feelings) down? I won't suggest talking about them with somone because if you were comfortable sharing what's wrong you'd not be eating your feelings. However sometimes writing everything down and then say burning the paper or deleting the file can help. That way no stress of it being read and you've vented. Other people I know go into the woods and scream or have really cheap cups and plates to smash or buy a punch bag to have at until they are in a calmer place and can work out a better solution. Best of luck.
  • carys2015
    carys2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you everyone I'm gunna give the therapy ago, and hope for the best but until then I'll do the writing down thing. I'll definitely try the timing and waiting for an hour, that sounds like it could work. I used to do the walking to distract me but now it makes me want to eat more:'). I'll look into getting a punching bag. Thank you everyone! ♥