Protein within 30 minutes of gym sesh.

Options
Hey all,

Just want to confirm something here.... A few of my mates tell me that If i don't consume protein with 30 minutes of finishing my gym session that the session is wasted and I really wont find gains.

Is this true?

Thanks =)

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Prove them wrong. Don't eat until 31 minutes after.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there are studies that have shown that consuming a protein shake within 60 minutes of exercising is best to replenish your body and help promote muscle growth and recovery, but it is not the end all be all hard rule. if you can't, you can't.
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matter too much. I tend to eat yogurt or a glass of milk soon as I get home from the gym. Don't eat those protein bars-- (unless you make your own)---they tend to be full of junk. I start doing my first weight lifting 101 class Tuesday-- so I will ask my trainer how he feels about it. It only a 12 week x 2 times per-week course.
  • DMLC2014
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^
  • DMLC2014
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Broscience...that being said, however, i love my post-workout protein!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No, it's not true.

You'll just get whey-sted instead.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Overall protein in a day is much more signifcant than the supposed protein window. Look it up.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    think about it................by that logic, if you train for an hour, you wouldn't get any gains from the exercises during the first half an hour even if you had a protein shake right after you finished.......

if you want to have a proper read

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    To much brociense