Anyone else, think they're losing slowly due to untreated hypothyroidism? Eat most calories in day?

Options
Hi I'm Dani and I'm 22.

I went to uni and gained 20 pounds in a year (despite not doing the typical student things like going out and drinking a lot because I was so tired) .

My TSH levels are over 4... in America you get treated for hypothyroid when they reach 3 (they were 3.4 before I started dieting in oct). I'm going to speak to my GP about it this week as it's taken me a while to figure this is possibly what's wrong.

The first few months, I felt quite down because daily scale fluctations it took a while to notice a difference. I kept telling myself, if you're creating a deficit - it's impossible to not lose weight. It's taken me 4 months to lose 8/9 pounds. That is the good news, even with my metabolism slowed *it is possible*. Just very hard. I find I need to eat 1100 calories to lose 1/2 pound a week (I am just over 5ft as well). I only do pilates as exercise, hopefully one day I'll be able to do cardio so I can eat more, but currently being investigated for POTS too (yeah my body is kind of broken).

At the rate i'm going...I've got another 18 weeks of dieting to go... that seems like a long time. I'm thinking of giving myself a break for two weeks when I have exams and eat at maintance. Anyone else only losing 1/2 pound a week? Friends my age when dieting seem to easily lose 2-3 pounds a week (although I think some of it must be water).

Also, I've actually lost more this week and it's one week which doesn't really support much but it might be due to having most my food in the day and only having a light dinner, despite the same calories. I read a study (i'll try and find it if anyone wants) where they gave two groups the same calories and exercise. However, one group had a larger dinner and the other more calories in day time. The group who eat most their calories during the day lost more weight. Weird huh?

Sorry, if this is a long introduction :)

Replies

• 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Am having a similar prob. I'm forensically logging, exercising 5-6 days a week, and have plateaued since December. I only have half a thyroid and my results are 'normal' yet for me (Ireland) they are, to me, marginally hypo. I'm getting retested next month. I'll be watching with interest.