Kale?

Options
howardheilweil
howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
I bought some kale on a whim this weekend and am now not really sure what to do with it... Any suggestions?

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i made a kale and strawberry salad the other night. sprinkled some slivered almonds and made a vinegarette. scrumptious. some folks around here have successfully made kale chips too (i've attempted--and failed--twice).

I LOVE KALE.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    battered and fried it tastes passable
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Feed it to an iguana.

I think some people use kale to make smoothies.
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bake it for about 10 min at 400 degrees with a little olive oil and salt. It tastes almost like potato chips!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of kale, usually with white beans and turkey sausage. It's quite a "meaty" veggie. especially the dinosaur variety, so it goes well with earthy accompaniments like portobello mushrooms, beans, chickpeas, lentils and the like.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Bleh! Don't use it to make a smoothie! I did that once (with my first encounter with kale) and I haven't touched the stuff since.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Bake it for about 10 min at 400 degrees with a little olive oil and salt. It tastes almost like potato chips!

^^ This. Spread the kale out after tossing it with the olive oil. I add some dulse, and cayenne pepper as well. I'd recommend a parchment paper over the baking sheet.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Use it to make chips! A poster above mentioned how to make kale chips in the oven. I use a dehydrator for mine but if you make some in the oven check the kale often as it can burn easily.

I love sprinkling some oil on the washed and chopped up kale (remove the stem), some pepper and nutritional yeast than bake or dehydrate. Amazing!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have only used it in soups.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I disagree with this. But I do find it tastes like a nicely roasted Brussels sprout, so.. cheers!
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Sausage and Kale soup
    1 lb sausage (italian, pork.... whatever)
    1 onion (chopped)
    A few slices of bacon (chopped) --optional--
    1 clove garlic (chopped)
    10 - 12 cups broth (made with boullon is fine)
    1 lb potatoes (sliced in bits, chunks, slices... whatever)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 bunch kale leaves (chopped)
    salt, pepper, oregano, thyme (all to taste)

brown sausage, bacon, garlic, and some onion
    add broth and boil
    add potatoes and cook until tender
    mush potatoes a bit
    add spices to taste
    add kale and heat through
    add cream and heat through

DELICIOUS!!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend throws it into his smoothies when he blends them in a blender.... cant taste it at all over the fruit.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    bump....i need lots of recipes on how to cook kale.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A few ways I regularly use kale:

-homemade kale chips
    -juice it (especially in my “Green Lemonade”)
    -add to smoothies
    -add to salad
    -add to soups

Kale is very good for you. It takes a little getting used to if you eat it, especially raw, but it’s worth it. I really love kale chips, and I’ve gotten my coworkers hooked on them, too.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Kale is extremely nutritious and versatile! You can use it any way you would spinach or any other dark green. It has a mild flavor and holds up well in casseroles and soups, but is also good raw in a salad or smoothie. Try it like this- http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/braised-kale-with-bacon-cider-10000000577156/
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i REALLY prefer my kale cooked. cut it into strips and boil it.
    I have also made a cole-slaw style vinegar salad with kale, and that was ok, but it tases really "healthy"

I love tossing it into stews, curries, etc.

I put it in my smoothies, but i prefer spinach. If you don't like green smoothies, just don't go there.

I will sometimes saute it with onions and scramble an egg into it.

Kale chips are a favorite for a lot of people, but i just found them to be more work than they were worth, but i burned my arm badly making them, so i may just be biased