Ballroom Dancing

Options
Anyone out there use this lovely art form as your type of exercise?

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    It has been a long time dream of mine to take ballroom dance lessons and learn to foxtrot, waltz, tango, etc. . I think it would be great exercise and fun and a great social skill to have. And I mean the real dances, not the stuff they do on Dancing With the Stars where if they didn't tell you the dance they were doing you wouldn't recognize it.
  • Kissynn
    Kissynn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't hesitate a moment longer. Find a class near you. I absolutely guarantee you will love it!!! I was privileged to have taken ballroom dance classes about 10 years ago, and it was love at first dance. I wasn't in it for the exercise at that time, but it was a workout just the same. But really it wasn't a workout because I was doing something I loved. I've been trying to get back to dancing ever since. I don't watch Dancing With the Stars because I don't like the way the dancers are critiqued after all the hard work they put in ( friends have told me it's better since I last watched it though). Still, I feel dance is an expression of one's self and there's no right or wrong way to do that. Here's hoping you take lessons soon and here's hoping I can get back to it soon.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    My DW has ballroom danced for over a year and a half now and lost over 30lbs. However she's now competing and it's very very costly. But it's what she likes to do and it's not my say unless we can't afford it, which we can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have in the past, until the knee got too bad. I have since found out there are two different ballroom dancing clubs in town, which are cheaper than the schools. So I may check them out once I recover from this surgery. My favorite is contra dancing though, and I hope I will be able to go back to it. Contra dancers are super friendly and helpful, it is inexpensive, and is the most intense cardio I have ever done. And it is just a ton of fun!
  • Kissynn
    Options
    I'm not familiar with contra dancing, but you've got me curious about it. Let the researching begin!!!
  • Kissynn
    Options
    To Ninerbuff...do you dance with her?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Kissynn wrote: »
    Nope. Not my thing. I'd rather do hip hop.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    To Kissyn-- YouTube has a lot of contra dance videos. One of the regional dance weekends kinda near here is called "Dance Trance" and they usually put videos up, so search for them. I will not go to the weekend long events; the regular twice a month dances are enough.

• Kissynn
    Options
    rdfaye wrote: »
    To Kissyn-- YouTube has a lot of contra dance videos. One of the regional dance weekends kinda near here is called "Dance Trance" and they usually put videos up, so search for them. I will not go to the weekend long events; the regular twice a month dances are enough.
    I searched for a few videos, and contra dancing does look like a lot of fun. Thank you!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    professional bellydancer.

I'd love to do zouk or some other form of latin- but- as pointed out- time consuming and costly and ethic dancing already takes up all my free time. not a priority.

But no- dance is not my only form of exercise- I lift. Dancing is just what I love to do.
  • Kissynn
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    professional bellydancer.

I'd love to do zouk or some other form of latin- but- as pointed out- time consuming and costly and ethic dancing already takes up all my free time. not a priority.

But no- dance is not my only form of exercise- I lift. Dancing is just what I love to do.

I tried bellydancing once, beautiful art form!
  • Kissynn
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Kissynn wrote: »
    Nope. Not my thing. I'd rather do hip hop.

Yeah, but I bet she would love it, if you did!!!