Hula-Hooping?

Options

Replies

• MegaLoveBird
    MegaLoveBird Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @MaryKayMariela We could stick to this chart, or even double it, just for an actual challenge. The challenge for me isn't the length of time, it's making the time daily... Know what I mean?
  • MaryKayMariela
    MaryKayMariela Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @MaryKayMariela We could stick to this chart, or even double it, just for an actual challenge. The challenge for me isn't the length of time, it's making the time daily... Know what I mean?

That looks perfect!! Can't wait to start!
  • MegaLoveBird
    Options
    If anyone is interested I have opened a Facebook page for the "30 Day Hula Hoop Challenge - June 2015". Several people are in on it, submitting photos and other fun things. Just a safe space to have fun and be with like-minded hoopers!!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/379422035580824
  • idolon
    idolon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late, and I can't even keep a hula hoop going for 5 minutes, but this sounds so fun!
  • MegaLoveBird
    Options
    It's okay, @idolon, it's a work in progress. It's really all about fun and community.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if there were fellow hula hoopers on here! I've been hooping for about 2-years now and it's what inspired me to get fit :)
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Have you continued hula hooping? I'm working on my exercise calendar for July, and I'm considering hooping on my non-running days as a core/ab workout.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Have you continued hula hooping? I'm working on my exercise calendar for July, and I'm considering hooping on my non-running days as a core/ab workout.

I have been! I hoop for about an hour on weekdays and 2-4 hours on weekends! I do hoop dance, so it's not strictly an ab work out, more so cardio
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Cool! I hooped for about 10 minutes yesterday, and 30 today while watching TV (I'd get a bit bored otherwise). I had forgotten how good it felt to finally learn how to keep a hula hoop up (I didn't learn how to do that until I was an adult and looked up the technique online).
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread. I've wanted to start hula hooping, and have a weighted hoop from Amazon on my wish list. I'll research that a bit more, and look into the diy options, as well.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I found it was good for relieving back soreness from my scoliosis, and I could see when my hips were getting more even because the hoop revolves closer to parallel to the floor. It's something I can hypothetically do while watching tv rather than be sedentary. I'm curious as to how much doing it consistently for a month could affect my core strength.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    It certainly does work the muscles. I hooped for 30 minutes today, and my waist gained a full inch since this morning. I think it must be water being retained by the muscles, and I anticipate being sore tomorrow. It didn't seem particularly hard at the time, though . . .
  • MegaLoveBird
    Options
    Hey yall, sorry I lag on the responses here. I'll still be hooping through July and so on. I've got so carried away in June I was hooping for hours!! I love it!! The initial group I set up still exists on Facebook but the name has been changed to "Hula Hoop Group" just for fun. Please feel free to join, post and invite your friends. It's a closed group so only members can see your posts.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Could you post a link please? For some reason, groups don't turn up when I search for them.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Just a safe space to have fun and be with like-minded hoopers!!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/379422035580824

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for a hooping class tomorrow at my local leisure centre. When reading about it, there seems to be a general opinion that there is a 'correct' and 'incorrect' technique. A incorrect technique can burn calories, through sheer cardio effort, the other one does that plus works all of your abdo muscles in the right way. I started pilates a little while ago, and the whole 'engaging the core' thing that pilates teaches you seems to apply to hooping. Fingers crossed I don't collapse from sheer exhaustion - that hooping challenge is working up to 30 minutes, my class is an hour long!! ;) I'm sure we'll take regular breaks - or in my case, to pick up the dropped hoop. My ability to actually spin a hoop could be discovered to be embarrassingly bad!
  • MegaLoveBird
    Options
    @editorgrrl, thank you for posting the link. @dizzieblondeuk, that class sounds fantastic!!! You're absolutely right about engaging your core while hooping, it really is the key to working the abdominals. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I can't hulahoop. LOL. It's very sad.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @editorgrrl, thank you for posting the link. @dizzieblondeuk, that class sounds fantastic!!! You're absolutely right about engaging your core while hooping, it really is the key to working the abdominals. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    OH MY GOD!!! That was really, really tough! Turns out, I can hoop - but only in an anticlockwise direction! Try the other way, and the hoop falls to the floor pathetically after 3 turns! Clearly, that's my weak side! Gotta work on it!

The workout itself consisted of a lot of high energy cardio, using the hoop as a balance and a weight. In between the different parts of the cardio workout, we switched to hooping in various guises - slow rotations one way and then another, then as fast as you could for short bursts. Then we switched to using the hoop as a sort of hand weight, and did lots of arm raises, bicep and tricep curls, including hellish overhead tricep lifts holding the hoop (ow!!). Then the crazy woman wanted me to hoop whilst stepping up and down on a step. Ha ha ha... no! That didn't happen so I just concentrated on the hooping bit. Finally, a bit of floor work for leg raises and crunches, balancing the hoop on the legs, then a final hooping 'exercise', where she chucked a beach ball in the middle of the studio and told us to kick it to each other whilst still hooping. That was another epic fail for me - but it was my first time - and finally one of the most thorough cool down stretches I've had in a gym class - she really knew what she was doing there! All in all, about 20 minutes of the 60 was actual hooping, broken up with the other exercise sections. Pretty comprehensive work-out, I felt.

The next day, I had a bit of soreness around the middle - expected - but none of the actual bruising I was warned to expect. A bit of overall muscle soreness, not too much but then, I've not done an exercise class in about 4 years! Definitely want to go back and work on improving my hooping.

BTW, can anyone recommend a good hoop brand to buy? There seem to be a whole bunch on the market, with a huge variance in their prices. Just want a basic one to practice at home, but don't want to just get the cheapest and discover it's not very good.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I can't hulahoop. LOL. It's very sad.

Why not? I couldn't as a kid and had to look up how as an adult. Now I can do it.