Has anyone on here experienced a growth spurt or height increase after losing a lot of weight?

Options
AzizMuj
AzizMuj Posts: 7 Member
Hi iam a 19 years old guy, I'm 5'11 and weight about 97 kg (was 102 KG 1 and half month ago)
So I was wondering did anyone on here experienced a growth spurt or height increase after losing a lot of weight?
I really wanna be 6ft lol can I still grow at 19?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Umm. No. Perhaps you'll get a bit taller from improved posture?
  • APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Males can grow until they're about 25, so you may still hit your desired height! I think that really overweight people might see a bit of a change in height due to better posture and stronger back muscles if they've been getting fit while they're losing weight too!
  • AzizMuj
    Options
    Males can grow until they're about 25, so you may still hit your desired height! I think that really overweight people might see a bit of a change in height due to better posture and stronger back muscles if they've been getting fit while they're losing weight too!

Thanks for your answer! Much appreciated.

• AzizMuj
    Options
    Anyone else wanna weigh in on this topic?? Would be appreciated
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yes, your height can still increase. I had a couple of small growth "spurts" in my 20s. I also tend to get 1/2 inch taller when I lose a lot of weight, because weight evidently compresses your spine. I am in my 40s and added a 1/2 inch last year after losing a bunch of weight. Obviously that wasn't growth but just a change in compression and possibly posture.

That being said, hoping for a complete inch is probably ambitious.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    this totally depends. most people will be done growing by this point but it depends. i might ask the males in my family when they stopped growing. u might be similar to them
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    ugh excuse my poor grammar and use of language i just woke up from a nap
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I also think that doing the right workouts can help...my 3 years of pilates have made me almost an inch taller! I'm sure it is due to posture and a stronger back and core but I will take it!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    My sons doctor claimed that some boys can still have minor growth spurts until late Teens. I'm not saying he's right but he did say its possible.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My childhood best friend and I were about the same height all the way through school. After he graduated high school, he went into the army.About a year later, he came home on leave and was 6 feet tall while I stayed at 5'8". Maybe you should join the army. ;)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My li'l bro shot up even taller in his 20's to 6'4. My dad was 5'7 on a good day. His bro's (my uncles) were all over 6'. Take a look at the guys on your dad's side, see if they got any height. 5'11 is a nice height on a man. Clothes fit better, girls think you are tall, shoe size is easy to find. B)
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have actually gotten shorter! I grew from 5'4 when I graduated high school to 5'8 at 24, but in the last 10'ish months of weight loss, I am down to 5'7! Plus, my feet are even smaller...I now where a kid's 5.5!
  • AzizMuj
    Options
    My childhood best friend and I were about the same height all the way through school. After he graduated high school, he went into the army.About a year later, he came home on leave and was 6 feet tall while I stayed at 5'8". Maybe you should join the army. ;)

That's interesting! A lot of other people have told me about the similar joining the army and having this late growth spurts thing before too. I have always wondered what is it about joint the army that makes people have these growth spurts..
  • AzizMuj
    Options
    My li'l bro shot up even taller in his 20's to 6'4. My dad was 5'7 on a good day. His bro's (my uncles) were all over 6'. Take a look at the guys on your dad's side, see if they got any height. 5'11 is a nice height on a man. Clothes fit better, girls think you are tall, shoe size is easy to find. B)
    That's amazing! How tall was his before his last growth spurt leading him to 6'4?
  • AzizMuj
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Yes, your height can still increase. I had a couple of small growth "spurts" in my 20s. I also tend to get 1/2 inch taller when I lose a lot of weight, because weight evidently compresses your spine. I am in my 40s and added a 1/2 inch last year after losing a bunch of weight. Obviously that wasn't growth but just a change in compression and possibly posture.

That being said, hoping for a complete inch is probably ambitious.

Wow how much weight did you lose?