Have you guys seen this?

Options
This was in the news today. Supposedly "studies" show that not all calories are created equal. Thoughts?http://www.cbsnews.com/news/foods-that-help-keep-the-pounds-off-as-you-age/

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie stop reading stupid stuff and just eat at a deficit

Succinct yet accurate :)
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    studies show that if you put the words, "studies show" first in an article, that people will believe anything. I'm 42 and I FINALLY learned that IF you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Exercise burns calories, too, so that counts as well.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measurement. What you're talking about most likely has nothing to do with calories but instead focuses on the nutritional makeup of certain foods. After all, an inch is an inch, right?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Having read the article I thought it was pretty good tbh. Op a calorie is a calorie, so they are equal in terms of straight weight loss, but not equal in terms of nutrition. I dont think anyone is going to argue with that and they should read the article, which seems pretty sensible.
  • PolythenePam910
    PolythenePam910 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm on the side of "a calorie is a calorie", I just kinda can't believe this article was published through a reputable news source. But then again inaccuracies and sensationalism is nothing new..
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm on the side of a "study" that is a scanning of other "studies" that lack control groups and depend on self reporting isn't really a study.
  • 999tigger
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm on the side of a "study" that is a scanning of other "studies" that lack control groups and depend on self reporting isn't really a study.
    Thats why I called it an article. All it says nutrition and choice of nutrition is important in terms of having a successful sustainable diet. How many of you are going to disagree with that? Its obvious some of you havent even read the article.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    some calories have more or less NUTRITION than others, but as for as weight loss goes, they are equal.

and no, i didn't read the article. I try to eliminate stupid annoyances from my life. ;)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    A lot of crap about glycemic load, imo.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Blah blah blah blah a lot of attention grabbing stuff to end up saying that at the end of the day, calories still matter.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    some calories have more or less NUTRITION than others, but as for as weight loss goes, they are equal.

and no, i didn't read the article. I try to eliminate stupid annoyances from my life. ;)

Then how do you know what was discussed? How do you know in what context it discusses calories or that it didnt differentiate between a calorie being a unit of measurement amd that nutrition is an importnat part of successful dieting?

People commenting without reading the article in question is just crazy. You are entirely reliant on the Ops spin on things, which fails to take into account wahts actually said in the article.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Then how do you know what was discussed? How do you know in what context it discusses calories or that it didnt differentiate between a calorie being a unit of measurement amd that nutrition is an importnat part of successful dieting?

People commenting without reading the article in question is just crazy. You are entirely reliant on the Ops spin on things, which fails to take into account wahts actually said in the article.

it doesn't make my comment any more or less true, though.

some calories have more nutrition than others. FACT.
    For WEIGHT LOSS- a calorie of broccoli is equal to a calorie in an m&m. FACT.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There's a little bit of truth to both sides I believe. "Calories in/Calories Out" - all you need to do is to eat a deficit to lose weight. That one is true. However, fuel-mix is important too. Have you ever noticed that you feel different on those days you don't eat optimally? If it weren't for recognizing that our bodies have the need for a certain mix of foods, there would be no science of Nutrition. The diet industry kind of skewed things on this by trying to find the right mix of foods to eat for weight loss. The more I try, the more I write down what I eat, the more or less results I have with weight loss, the more I am beginning to believe that fuel mix is highly individual.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I find the comments on articles like these amusing.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This was in the news today. Supposedly "studies" show that not all calories are created equal. Thoughts?http://www.cbsnews.com/news/foods-that-help-keep-the-pounds-off-as-you-age/

Don't fall for articles like that. Calories in/calorie out, no one food helps or hinders weight loss, it's all about balance and eating less calories than you burn.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Its always going to come down to calories in verse calories out for weight loss. Don't even bother with articles like that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    A lot of crap about glycemic load, imo.

it started out with that yes but then went to say
    "But I don't want people to think calories don't matter," Wright stressed. There are also no "magic bullet" foods that will melt off the pounds, she said. Nor can people avoid weight gain, and stay healthy, simply by avoiding a few "bad" foods.

Mind you even tho there are some good points in this article it is still confusing weight loss CICO with health, macro balance etc

Which leads people to think they can eat a lot of calories as long as they are the "right ones" and still lose weight when in fact they can't.
  • PolythenePam910
    PolythenePam910 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I find the comments on articles like these amusing.

That's why I posted it!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I'm agreeing with others here. This seems to be more about counting calories than it realizes. Things that have a high glycemic index tend to be high in calories. Sometimes higher than people realize. They also don't fill you up so much so you get hungrier more often. A bagel with cream cheese might equal a three egg omelette with cheese and veggies. Which holds you longer?

I tried cutting down on high GI foods. I lost, but only about 15. Counting kcal and I'm down 30 in less time.