eating then exercise - how long do you wait?

Options
so say i eat a bowl of cereal in the morning, a couple of eggs scrambled and a stir fry, after i've demolished that lot how long do i need to wait before its ok to step on the treadmill etc?

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Different folks have different tolerance for food, so I'd suggest just trying it once and seeing what happens. That said, unless I will be working out for an hour or more I tend to wait until after I have exercised to eat. If you eat protein + carbs (in roughly a 1 to 4 ratio) as soon as possible after exercising that is your best bet for recovering quickly and building new muscle.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before I do my yoga (inverted positions suck when you have food in your stomach), but if I don't have breakfast before I do my biking, I feel dizzy and unwell. I think it depends on the person, as the guy above me said.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    depends how big your meal is, if it wasn't too big maybe 1 - 1.5 hours and if you ate a big meal I would wait 2 hours. I usally eat a big meal and wait 2 hours.
  • Tflowers34907
    Tflowers34907 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on what and how much I eat. If I eat pretty light (fruit and yogurt or something like that) I can workout as soon as 30 minutes afterwards. If I eat something heavier or kind of greasy (grits, sausage, etc) I give myself at least an hour.