Have you given up Diet Soda?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally have never started on diet soda, because I think it tastes rancid with an even worse after taste...

I have real Coke, real Mello Yello, etc. when I want a soda. It has not hindered my weight loss, but it has kept me from going crazy by eliminating things I like from my diet.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I also read somewhere that diet soda causes your metabolism to slow down.

How does this happen? Do you have links to where you read that? I've heard all sorts of things about diet soda, but admittedly, this is the first I've heard that one.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I gave up all sodas a month ago but not because of calories. Aspartame is one of the worst things you could put into your body.
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I gave up all sodas a month ago but not because of calories. Aspartame is one of the worst things you could put into your body.

Yep, I gave them up over a year ago for the same reason!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Could be the sodium and water retention? I don't know the sodium content off the top of my head, but I would think pretty significant in several cans a day? Just a thought...
  • johnguitarman
    johnguitarman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had a huge addiction to diet pepsi. About 5 or more cans a day. I gave it up cold turkey about 5 months ago due to the absorbic acid and how it destroys your tooth enamel.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    yes it can prevent weight loss
    I've read that artificial sweeteners actually make you hungrier

I love how people think that artificial sweeteners make you fat. More Diet Pepsi for me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have not given up diet soda. I have not stopped using artificial sweeteners in my coffee and tea. I have lost over 30 lbs in a year and a half (very slowly as intended) and having that added sweetness in my beverages was a part of that.

*taking a sip of my artificially sweetened coffee right now* Delicious.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Never liked it.

Can't stand the taste of fake sweeteners....ANY of them. I've tried them all, and I can always tell when it's got that fake **** in it.

Ugggh.

I do have a regular, sugar-filled pop now and then......and I LOVE my Soda Stream (sparkling water - a great substitute for bubbly pop! Yup, we call it POP up here in the Northland :bigsmile: :bigsmile: )
  • Gigiislosingweight
    Gigiislosingweight Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda. However I love crystal light it comes in different flavors and helps with a variety of flavor. I drink 6-8 cups a day. But still have my coffee for am. I am also 5 ' and I went to dr who put me on a diet of 1200 calories. I am working alot and have not been able to get my walking in. I too find that when I hit over 1200 calories it is too much for me right now. But again I went to a nutritional doctor to help with my weight problem. Some people depending on size, height, activity brings in better health. I was working this weekend alot. I was doing 18 hour shifts, and I was so confused it I was suppose to eat now or later. At the end of the weekend I recorded what I eat and it was too low which is probably why I was confused........LOL. So now I am bring a lunch bag and setting an alarm to remind me to eat when my hours get all whacky as those were all hours lost track of day and and nights. Hopefully will be able to keep it to 10-12 hour shifts and tak ethe weekend off to go walking with my daughter.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have a 2lt bottle of diet coke once a week maybe 2 if my partners working night shifts and Im exhausted and need a pick me up. If we are out for a day I might get a can or small 500ml bottle mainly as its 1cal and I dont like plain water that much only with added squash so dont buy it.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have one can of diet soda (generally 7Up or cloudy lemonade) at lunchtime. If I'm going to Zumba I have a diet drink (generally again 7Up) with dinner because I don't drink alcohol before exercising :wink: . I had a diet coke last night before dinner because I really wanted crisps and that filled me up and got my over the gap.

The rest of the day I drink tea or chilled water, mostly for the sake of my teeth - even carbonated water is not good because carbon dioxide is highly corrosive.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Watch this and tell me it does't have an effect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoAtwVyzZI

End of the day everything in moderation 2-3 cans a day isn't moderation
  • Jamiecfc1
    Jamiecfc1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My PT has been nagging me forever to give up not just diet soda but anything containing artificial sweetener. Which has been difficult as to be honest water does nothing for me at all taste-wise, and I have been drinking large quantities of diet soda (Pepsi Max mostly) for years during which time I lost a lot of weight, so maybe it helped, or maybe not. The main reason for her nagging, sorry, advising :) is because of the sweetener thing and that she wants me to lose weight - naturally, rather than artificially and not risk health with aspartane and such like. I have been tempted but I haven't had a single Pepsi Max this year which I guess is an achievement, weight wise.. the jury's out.
  • coopers11
    coopers11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have cut down to 1 can every other day or so. Diet coke makes me want chocolate so I try & stay away from it!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I drink a TON of diet soda. I work at a fast food place, so it's always there. The soda itself doesn't make me gain weight, but it makes me used to sweet drinks. I'm not just satisfied with water anymore.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    yes it can prevent weight loss
    I've read that artificial sweeteners actually make you hungrier

I love how people think that artificial sweeteners make you fat. More Diet Pepsi for me.

This!

Nothing wrong with diet pop. It ill not prevent weight loss... it will not slow your metabolism... sweeteners have yet to be PROVEN on humans that they are dangerous.

Drink it in moderation. Don't listen to those who are telling you it's terrible for you and will prevent weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    My PT has been nagging me forever to give up not just diet soda but anything containing artificial sweetener. Which has been difficult as to be honest water does nothing for me at all taste-wise, and I have been drinking large quantities of diet soda (Pepsi Max mostly) for years during which time I lost a lot of weight, so maybe it helped, or maybe not. The main reason for her nagging, sorry, advising :) is because of the sweetener thing and that she wants me to lose weight - naturally, rather than artificially and not risk health with aspartane and such like. I have been tempted but I haven't had a single Pepsi Max this year which I guess is an achievement, weight wise.. the jury's out.
    Lol, if she wanted you to lose weight "naturally", then all should be doing is calorie deficit and nothing more if she's speaking literally.
    The health risk she speaks of from aspartame are echoed in the fitness industry by lots of trainers because they are just following hearsay without having done any personal research on it themselves. Science doesn't support a lot of what anti diet soda proponents state and claim.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.zevia.com/

I hear most diet sodas have really nasty ingredients, used to love a Diet Pepsi. I have switched over to Zevia. Many grocery stores sell them, local as well as Whole Foods.

I love the citrus, ginger ale, black cherry and root beer the best.

Sweetened with stevia with 0 calories.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It's full of chemicals. I guess it's up to you if you want to drink that junk.

ditto.