Carb intake advice please :)

Options
Hello,

I've been trying to eat 1200 cals a day to lose approx 1-1.5lbs a week.

I am concerned over my carb intake and just wondered if anyone has any advice/info about it?

So this is the menu for tomorrow:
Breakfast - sachet of quaker oats/1 cup unsweetened almond milk/30g choc peanut protein diet whey
Lunch - whole bag of tilda microwave mexican rice/10 chicken slices/tomatoes/cucumber
Snack - apple
Dinner - chicken breast/red pepper/ 1/3 jar of discovery fajita spice and sauce/one pitta bread

Does this seem like a reasonably balanced diet to everyone? Please advise!
Thank you in advance
E x

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

My suggestion is that you log all the above ingredients at MFP and checked the macros for that day (protein, fat and carbohydrates). MFP is a wonderful tool. Please use it.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried that you weren't eating enough food. You have very little to lose (6 pounds) it will be slow going. you should be aiming for more like .5 pound a week which means you could eat more and it is more likely to be sustainable. 1 to 1.5 pounds a week is too aggressive a goal for such a small amount of weight to lose. Have a look at the sexypants thread pinned in getting started forum that will give you some great advice
  • dldense
    dldense Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The American Diabetes Association and Nutrisystem (the plan I'm on) recommend that you fuel your body every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. With that in mind, I'd add a morning snack to what you are currently doing. Mexican rice seems like it would be a little high in carbs but I don't know what brand you are using. My husband is diabetic and he's found that when he eats six times a day he not only loses weight, but he's also been able to reduce his insulin. He's currently on two different kinds of insulin, and is also taking metphormin so I'm really happy that he's been able to change. He let MFP determine his caloric/carb goals but said that it actually gives him a lower # than what the doctor recommend per day. He usually lands somewhere in the middle and it's working really well for him. Hope that helps.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You need to work out you resting metabolic rate. ( the amount of calories you need a day just to maintain) once you have this reduce it by 500 calories for fat loss. Then break this down to 40% protien 40% Carbs and 20%fat. This will give a nice steady weight loss. I know it sounds really anal, but you have to be make sure your work it correctly for it to work.
    If you need anymore help please ask
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    Hi:

My suggestion is that you log all the above ingredients at MFP and checked the macros for that day (protein, fat and carbohydrates). MFP is a wonderful tool. Please use it.
    Good luck in your healthy journey

Top advice! Just work out your macro's correctly. I wouldn't advise using MFP for this is for me it was way out
  • LittleMissFitness92
    LittleMissFitness92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :) Thank you ever so for the advice!! I have taken it all on board for sure so thanks!

With the plan above, I am suitably in my macro ranges which is awesome. However, I tried making the day less carby and more protein-y and I am struggling! How do you all eat so much less carbohydrates on a daily basis? What alternatives do you use?
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    Carbs are really miss understood. You really need them to transport the protein around your body. If you depleted to much you will start to feel lethargic and your training will be less productive. However if you really want to eat less carbs up your protien by 5% and drop your carbs by 5%. Protien helps you fill fuller for longer, so assuming your not a veggie.. Tuna., eggs, chicken, natural yogurt, etc etc