Where is a good store to buy free weights and how much do they cost on average?

Options
I'm getting tired of using weight machines at the gym. I keep going to the gym hoping for a chance to use free weights (I live in a populated area) but all the men are hogging them along with a few women lol. Not to mention the free weight section stinks as in "grab the febreeze" type of stink. I would rather use my own free weights and at home. Any suggestions where to get them for a good price?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    New they're at least 1$/lb, used can be cheaper.

Dicks sporting goods, modells, walmart, sports authority, target
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    get the bowflex 552 or 1090 ones on craigslist. theyre amazing, thats all ive been using since day one
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I just recently ordered the Bowflex 552 adjustable weights, they're pretty pricey tho.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You can get used exercise equipment cheap, if you are patient - I set up a home gym with Olympic bars -dumbbells- lots of weight - squat rack - a power rack - Craiglist - yard sales- pawn shops are good places to look
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    buy used plates, usually 50c/lb. Get a GOOD quality barbell though. $150-300 from a place like Rogue Fitness.
    Avoid the Cap/Weider barbells.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you do not mind changing weights there is a very affordable set from Gold's Gym at Walmart and they sell extra plates to add to them.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I also have the bowflex adjustable dumbbells 552. I love them! They are pricey but worth it and do not take up much space. I ordered on Amazon Prime and they were shipped to me no cost. They are really great.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Academy Sports
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Amazon or Costco....Got a set with 10-30 lbs dumbells from Costco for around $200 CAD - including the stand....
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was considering canceling my gym membership then buying some free weights and exercising at home instead. These are all great brand/location suggestions.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I hate to say it, but Walmart has the best deals, even over Amazon or any big box store, unless you're buying used, which is the best way to get a deal.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Play it again sports is a good place for used weights.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but Walmart has the best deals, even over Amazon or any big box store, unless you're buying used, which is the best way to get a deal.
    ^this

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I bought Ivanko bar and plates online, and got my rack at a sports store. It was worth it to me, I didn't want the cheapy sets they had at sports authority