Ankles and shins hurt-- is it my shoes?

Options
Hi everyone!

For my workouts I like to do Zumba classes, turbo jam, and walking/jogging. What I am noticing now is how my ankles feel when I work out. They feel so tight and sore, especially in Zumba! I've also noticed shin pain after working out.

Should I buy new shoes, or maybe insoles? I currently have Nike revolution 2.

Thank you!!! :)

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Were you fit for the shoes at a specialty running store?
    You're probably wearing the wrong shoes for your runs and you shouldn't wear your running shoes for things like Zumba.
  • snappingosprey
    snappingosprey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching before and after your workouts. If not, I would start there. I prefer a mixture of static and dynamic stretching before any cardio, especially running.

If stretching doesn't help, then I would suggest heading to a running store to be evaluated for the proper fit of shoes. There is a lot more to buying shoes for running then picking the best colors and/or prices.

Depending on your gait, inserts may help. Or you may need a proper fitting shoe.

When I first started working out a year and half ago I was using a $40 pair of Saucony sneakers. I had massive pain on the inside of my feet and shins (I have flat feet and overpronate). Went to a specialty running store where I was evaluated by very knowledgeable staff. Ended up paying ~$150 for a pair of Saucony Omni. Made a HUGE difference.

That pair just got retired to "general/every day use" sneaker category. I recently purchased the Omni 13s.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you stretch after your workouts? That can make a big difference. How long have you had your current shoes?

Edit: Above poster’s answer is a lot more comprehensive than mine and excellent advice.