Pregnancy tracking

Options
Ok, so I'm trying to get pregnant after having lost about 30 lbs and still have over 100 to go. So my question is how do I stay on track of my weight (not losing), but not just gaining back what I lost? Should I continue to track? Some dr.'s say its ok to lose in the 1st trimester, maintain in 2nd, and gain in 3rd, but I will only do this if my morning sickness or something causes it. I just don't want to be even heavier after I have the baby and have to lose what I had so much trouble losing. From what my dr told me she only wants me to gain less than 15 lbs over the entire pregnancy so most of that should be baby, but if I'm not trying to lose I worry I'll slack on everything....Also something that will contribute is that I'm on a pre-diabetes medication (metformin) that I will continue during pregnancy, but will have to move to lower carb due to risk of gestational diabetes.

Replies

• staceyd78
    staceyd78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe check with your doctor about working with a nutritionist through your pregnancy? Might help to have guidelines that are given by a person who can check in with you and assure you that the baby is healthy and your body is strong.

I've found weight gain during pregnancy to be highly individualized to each pregnancy. I gained 55ish with my first, about 45 with my second, - both boys - and now that I'm on my third I'm not gaining as quickly (it is a girl this time). I wonder if gender of the child has anything to do with it. Morning sickness will definitely affect your weight gain too. The only reason I worry about doing this on your own is that you might need to talk with someone about what you are or are not eating for reassurance. In the beginning you often have such strong aversions that eating a "healthy" diet is tough. You might only want watermelon and bread for instance. It really isn't something you can help all that much in the beginning. Do what you can and be good to yourself. Cut yourself a little slack and consider yourself a baby growing machine (within reason). I'd hate for you to be frustrated with yourself/body through such a cool experience. Best of luck to you!