shakes ? budget? help!

Options
so im now on a budget whens it comes to shakes.
i use to buy a variety because i like the flavors & there a good source of protein because I don't eat a lot of meat and hate every type of nut out there.
so im wondering for those that drink any type of shakes.
what do you drink? and how much are you paying?

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I make my own smoothie. 1 cup yogurt plain. 1 egg. 1 tbsp flax meal 1 tbsp pb 1/2 cup frozen fruit 2 cups spinach or salad greens. P retty effective as a protein drink. Or I find them on sale at vitamin shoppe. Or I cant afford them.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have one smoothie a day, first thing in the morning. Vanilla protein powder, banana, spinach, pb2 and ice. Simple and delicious. I start work at 7am so I drink it on the way. Then I have some eggs at around 10am.
    I buy a big thing of the protein powder at Costco for $40, and it lasts me 2 months.
    You do not need to spend crazy money on shakes.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I use Trutein protein powder. I buy it on Bodybuilding.com.

It's not exactly cheap, but the flavors are all delicious, the vanilla is really versatile. It's around $50 for a 5lb tub, or about $1/scoop.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Lizaq2167 wrote: »
    Talecia2014, I have recently lost 46 lbs, no more sleeping pills, no more restless leg, my plantar fasciitis is gone, my depression and anxiety is gone, and the list goes on. This is not from a meal replacement, but from some natural supplements I have been taking and they are life changing. They do have a protein powder that I love as well. If you would like more info, message me, if not, just add me and we can support each other in this journey!!!

Because that doesn't read like a marketing pitch at all!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Lizaq2167 wrote: »
    Talecia2014, I have recently lost 46 lbs, no more sleeping pills, no more restless leg, my plantar fasciitis is gone, my depression and anxiety is gone, and the list goes on. This is not from a meal replacement, but from some natural supplements I have been taking and they are life changing. They do have a protein powder that I love as well. If you would like more info, message me, if not, just add me and we can support each other in this journey!!!

Because that doesn't read like a marketing pitch at all!

+1
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try eating scrambled eggs and different veggies in the mornings instead of a shake. I find I'm way too hungry soon after I drink a shake.
  • aliciamarie9
    aliciamarie9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using Fitmiss Delight because I cannot afford Shakeology. I drink that and take a vitamin and I feel like it's a good trade off. BUT there has to be some sort of drug in there because I always feel wired when I drink it, but the appetite suppressant works great, and I don't get hungry for hours!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Another vote for smoothies here. I buy whichever protein powder is on sale, mix with Greek yogurt, almond milk, frozen fruit, pb2,
    Spinach and kale and sometimes add a treat like marshmallow or unsweetened chocolate. Totally delicious.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine likes Carnation Instant Breakfast shakes.

I prefer just food... :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered if "shake" companies still use "legal" variations of amphetamines to help people with their weight loss. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

My google foo is not up to par tonight as all I've come up with is: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/18/fda-scientists-find-amphetamine-like-compound-in-dietary-supplements/3627963/
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    dont buy bodybyvi shakeology or any other crappy MLM stuff. You dont have a lot of money and theres no reason to pay some middleman's paycheck here.

My advice? Go to bodybuilding.com. Look at their selection of protein powder. Click on the ones you think look good. Read about them. Read the reviews. Order SAMPLES. Try them and decide what you like for yourself.

I like optimum nutrition, dymatize, and like the other poster said TRUTEIN (but the stuff is way too expensive).

bets of luck to you!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    To date... In my 26.3 pound weight loss.... I have not had 1 shake/any protein powder... Nothing none... I prefer to eat my calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you want a protein shake that also helps you feel fuller for longer, look for one with Casein in the ingredients.
    I can definitely tell the difference in fullness factor between protein shakes with fast digesting proteins compared to the ones with added casein
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Asher_Ethan! I totally agree with you!! My trainer told me to eat real food-- there are toooo much yucky stuff in the shake mixes. I always feel full eating my meal calories. It also teaches you about calories in everyday food!
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake made with one scoop of 25g chocolate protein powder, PB2 and unsweetened vanilla almond milk in the afternoon. 265 calories and it keeps me full until dinner at 7pm. I buy the Target brand and it is about $18 for 25 servings.
  • JoAnn132010
    JoAnn132010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Friends, I usually don't do things like this but I had to share this so that maybe somebody out there will get to benefit the same way that I have. I have been trying Fitmiss Delight Cookies and Cream protein powder. They also have flavors such as Banana Cream, Strawberries and Cream, Vanilla Chai, and Chocolate. It only has 90 calories per scoop and I like to mix mine in a blender with Vanilla or Chocolate Silk Almond Milk. I stay full for hours off of this stuff and it is specially formulated for women's bodies. It gets to the point where I have to make myself eat to fulfill my daily needed calories and even then I accidentally fall short. The Cookie's and Cream that I have literally taste like a Hershey's Cookie's and Cream candy bar and I had to recheck the label and research the protein powder again just to make sure it really did have 90 calories per scoop because I couldn't believe it. I am addicted to this stuff and can easily do two replacement shakes and maybe even replace every meal but I know my body needs whole foods at least one meal a day. I also take One A Day Women's Metabolism Booster just to get any extra vitamins I might miss from my one meal a day and protein shakes. Seriously I am a skeptic with most things but this truly works and I have problems with cravings but this gets rid of them because I get my sweet fix as well as the protein slowly digesting to keep me fuller for longer. You can get the stuff at Walgreens, Ebay, Online, anywhere really and it is totally worth it!! : ) If anybody tries it please let me know your experience with it because I'm in love with it myself!!!!