Where the distance runners at?

Options
2»

Replies

• mr_caffeine
    mr_caffeine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Add me too. I need motivation from the community.
  • Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hey Ginger! What I like most about this app is being able to see what excercise a person did today. It fuels me to know that there are other people out ther who are training as I am. I just began using the strava app and I love how it tracks my runs or bike rides and automatically posts them to MFP. I am signed up to do my first race in October. It's a half Ironman and the challenge of completing it is fueling me in my training. Add me if you want some encouragement and see what the heck kind of cardio I'm doing and I'll get the same encouragement from you.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    My first day doing the couch 25k lol. Was out of breath!!

Congrats! It gets easier... it may take awhile but really it does, just stick with it. We'll stick with you!

One day you'll do one of your regular loops without stopping, breathing easy, and you'll be all smiles and you won't soon forget that feeling of accomplishment. It's an amazing and deeply satisfying feeling.

• csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Slow runner here! But I get it done! :) I've run 2 half marathons and am about to start training for my first 25K that'll be at the end of July. I'd love more runner friends!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm training for a half marathon and would love to have fiends that are in the same situation as me. It's tough to eat enough so my runs improve, while maintaining a deficit in order to lose weight. Send me a request. Thanks!

Half marathons? That sounds terrible. :smile:
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get into distance running, but it's kind of slow going. I'm able to run for 5-7 minute intervals at 5.5mph right now, so I'm slow. I made it through a 10 minute long run last night just to see how far I could push myself, but then had a lot of difficulty completing the rest of my jogging for the day.

I'm hoping to be in 10K shape by fall.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    csk0018 wrote: »
    Slow runner here! But I get it done! :) I've run 2 half marathons and am about to start training for my first 25K that'll be at the end of July. I'd love more runner friends!!

Today's slow is yesterday's fast.

Have to admit, I'm jealous of those who can sub-9:00 min miles for distance, though. It would save me so much time if I could do the same!

I don't plan on racing, but I run half marathon distances. Planning on running that far at least once every two weeks, more often if I can. Thinking about training for marathon distance just to have done it. It'd just take soooo long to run. I'd be pushing 5 hours if my usual 'new farthest distance' pace holds true.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have done 8 (soon to be 9) 1/2 marathons and have completed my first full marathon in January with a time that was under my goal. I know there is a lot of things out there that says you can't lose weight while training for 1/2 and full marathons but I was able to lose the weight while training for my full. Actually my full marathon was my goal when I started my weight loss journey. I have to say that race was amazing. I didn't feel tried and finished really strong. I was happy with the out come. :smile:

I was really mindful about what I ate on my long run days. I made sure I counted everything and on those days I would eat back 75% of my exercise calories. It can be done you just have to be very mindful and look at the balances of foods you are eating. It did take some practice and I did have some "hits and misses" in the food department.

Feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get into distance running, but it's kind of slow going. I'm able to run for 5-7 minute intervals at 5.5mph right now, so I'm slow. I made it through a 10 minute long run last night just to see how far I could push myself, but then had a lot of difficulty completing the rest of my jogging for the day. I'm hoping to be in 10K shape by fall.

When I started running again with my wife last fall I probably was running a little slower than you (thanks to my kind wife) and had to stop every 1000 meters or so. We'd take our dog to a slightly hilly 2.5km loop in an off leash park and I never made it around the park without stopping more than once. For quite some time.

I'd had a minor case of pneumonia in spring 2014 and it took some time to recover my lung function. Truth is it hurt a lot to breathe, but I pushed through it, did deep breathing exercises, and, eventually, it didn't hurt any more.

You might try slowing it down a little and running farther before taking a walk/recovery break. Programs like Couch to 5K, the Galloway method (run-walk-run) can help you ease in correctly by giving you structure and a plan. As we get older we have to train smarter to ensure we remain injury free, something I am very concerned about because I don't want to suffer injury-related setbacks. A sports injury started me down the weight gain road in the first place.

Besides with age and wisdom comes real benefits. Training smart can get you to your end goal faster.

My wife and I ran that old loop of ours the other day at a nice clip, twice, as part of a longer run and of course we didn't need to stop for me. Big smiles.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

This is where the distance runners are at.