stuff you can go without in your diet? HEALTHY DIET?

Options
SuperSizeMeNot
SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Dairy, Egg, Nuts, Shellfish, Wheat\Gluten, Soy, Poultry, Seafood
how many of these things can i go without in my diet?
BUT if i take it out of my diet will/can i maintain a healthy diet?
(Not a poor one)

i guess my question is:
do gluten free/vegan people, have more health problems because of lack of nutrition?
sure they get a lot of fruits and veggies,
but is that really all they need to have a healthy life?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to go without them? All of those can be a part of a healthy diet. Anything can, really.

Could you give some context to your question?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Don't give up a thing.

Not a one.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to give up any of those things you listed, unless you have an allergy, or a medically-related reason to. Cutting them out will have no real effect on weight loss. Only a consistent calorie deficit does that.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Why would you give up any of those thing, unless you had a medical reason to do so?

Don't cut foods out of your diet. Everything in moderation.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You're not doing this for the wedding are you? You don't need to drink shakes or cut anything out. Just eat in a deficit.
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    Options
    basically gluten free/vegan?
    vegans don't have that stuff in there diet do they?
    i guess my question is

do gluten free/vegan people, have more health problems because of lack of nutrition?
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I could not give up any of those things... And I keep losing. Well I don't like shellfish, so I guess I don't eat that.

Actually, I hate veggies.. I hardly eat any of them (just the ones I like). It's all about what you can maintain for the long haul. I won't be in a deficit forever, but I want to enjoy the journey as well as be able to maintain when I get to my destination. Doing radical diets (for me) just don't cut it. There are things that I don't have in the house as I can get in a 'bingey' type mood. Chips, and my favorite chocolate - but these are things I still do have, just don't keep in my house in case I am feeling a bit weak.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Being gluten free and vegan is alot more than just eating their veggies. You still need to make sure you get enough protein and fat. Gluten free is meant for people with gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. For the average person, it really doesn't make sense to cut gluten.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    i guess my question is

A lot of them struggle. It's not something to be taken lightly or done without thorough preparation.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You have been told already that going vegan does not automatically means losing weight..... Going gluten free does not either.... If you don't have strong feelings about the ethical reasons people go vegan for, or medical reasons to go gluten free, why on earth do you want to make your life miserable? I've lost 20+ pounds eating bread, pizza, steaks, shellfish, red wine and even chocolate.....And kept it off for many years eating things I like!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i guess my question is

Are you considering veganism? If you are thinking about it from a health standpoint, no, vegans are not inherently healthier than other people. In fact, vegans need to pay CLOSER attention to their diets to make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need that are harder to get without animal products, particularly calcium, iron, and B12.

There are healthy omnivores, and unhealthy vegans, and everything in between. No one diet is automatically "healthy", it depends how you utilize it.

And gluten free literally does NOTHING for health, unless you have celiac disease. And if you have it, you'll know, because you'd be having horrible gut problems, as well as probably stunted growth.

edited for typo
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    Options
    i guess my question is

Are you considering veganism? If you are thinking about it from a health standpoint, no, vegans are not inherently healthier than other people. In fact, vegans need to pay CLOSER attention to their diets to make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need that are harder to get without animal products, particularly calcium, iron, and B12.

There are healthy omnivores, and unhealthy vegans, and everything in between. No one diet is automatically "healthy", it depends how you utilize it.

And gluten free literally does NOTHING for health, unless you have cerliac disease. And if you have it, you'll know, because you'd be having horrible gut problems, as well as probably stunted growth.

no im not considering it,
    i just seen some groups on here for it.
    i was thinking...
    what makes it so special?
    whats celiac disease?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    i guess my question is

A lot of them struggle. It's not something to be taken lightly or done without thorough preparation.

Just like there are a lot of unhealthy non-vegans, because they don't make good food choices. It would require a lot of effort and supps to make sure you were getting all the nutrients you needed.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    i guess my question is

And gluten free literally does NOTHING for health, unless you have cerliac disease. And if you have it, you'll know, because you'd be having horrible gut problems, as well as probably stunted growth.

i was thinking...
    whats celiac disease?

It's not special. Some people choose to cut out animal products for ethical reasons. Eating less/no meat can lead to reduced risk of heart disease, but aside from that there is nothing magical about it.

Celiac disease is congenital condition in which the intestines are unable to absorb a protein found in wheat and barley. It causes GI pain, diarrhea, poor nutrient absorption and stunted growth.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Being a healthy vegan means paying very close attention to what you eat. Not only do you have to monitor everything to ensure it is indeed vegan (and some really unsuspect food is not vegan if you look closely) but you have to make sure you are getting your macros and micros from a substantially reduced pool of options. Being vegan is HARD, which is why it is something that generally comes with a strong etichal viewpoint. Basically, you have to REALLY want to be vegan to stick with it.

Gluten free, unless you have celiac's is just another exclusion diet. Gluten free versions of food tend to be no better calorie wise, and sometimes higher cals, not to mention often not as tasty. Some people cut gluten and lose weight because they don't really do the replacement foods, just cut them out and end up doing a fairly low carb diet. But there's nothing magic about going gluten free for weight loss.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP every single food in your list is a healthy food!
    The only reason I would go vegan or gluten free would be if it was a matter of life or death!!

It's hard enough sticking to a varied and healthy diet as it is without placing more unnecessary restrictions on top of it for no valid reason :noway:
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Vegan people tend to have some vitamin deficiencies and there's no reason to give up gluten unless you have an allergy. But, if you want to be vegan then make sure you're taking a multivitamin and that you're having your iron levels checked.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    i guess my question is

i was thinking...
    whats celiac disease?

Yourt post are a bit confusing.
    If you have an intolerance to gluten, gluten makes you sick, so obviously in this case it is not good for you. If you have an intolerance to dairy, obviously dairy is making you sick, so avoiding them will better for you. And so on.

If you have ethical reasons to eat a vegan diet, and I really do not know anyone who stayed vegan for a long time without ethical reasons, then you figure out a way to have a balanced diet, which requires some extra effort and initial adjustement, but is doable. It is not as simple as eat random fruit and vegetables, if this is the question.
  • TsaiHo
    TsaiHo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can go without the meats, but then you'd need to keep in the nuts (or find some other source of protein). As for milk, if you have some other source of calcium (yogurt for example), you can do without. The thing is to keep a balanced diet either by replacing with other foods that have the necessary nutrients, or supplements.
    Many vegans have a harder time getting enough vitamin b12 (mostly obtained from meats), so if you're vegan or trying to go vegan you could ask your doctor if you need b12 supplements.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Vegan people tend to have some vitamin deficiencies and there's no reason to give up gluten unless you have an allergy. But, if you want to be vegan then make sure you're taking a multivitamin and that you're having your iron levels checked.
    It's perfectly possible to be healthy and vegan. I don't know any vegans who have vitamin deficiencies, but whatever. If anything they tend to be healthier than omnivores.

I would encourage you to look more into veganism anyway, for ethical and environmental reasons as well as health.