not enough calories... good or bad?

Options

Replies

• littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    im eating more than i used to

I highly doubt that if you're here because you need to lose weight.

If you're having trouble reaching your daily calorie goal, eat more calorie dense foods.

I lost 45 pounds before I joined. Didn't realize prior to joining that going under 1200 was so dangerous.

So I upped my calories.

You can keep your so you can "highly doubt it" all you want. Judgy Judgerson

What are you even talking about? Your experience has nothing to do with the original post.

She said she is eating more NOW.

She said NOTHING about losing weight PRIOR to MFP.

THEREFORE, it is IMPOSSIBLE for her to be eating more NOW (LOSING WEIGHT) than BEFORE (GAINING WEIGHT).

FFS. Basic reading comprehension, people. Learn it before you get high and mighty over nothing.

The reason people are having trouble with your statement is because you failed to insert a comma in the proper place. Commas save lives.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

If you're having trouble reaching your daily calorie goal, eat more calorie dense foods.

I lost 45 pounds before I joined. Didn't realize prior to joining that going under 1200 was so dangerous.

So I upped my calories.

What are you even talking about? Your experience has nothing to do with the original post.

THEREFORE, it is IMPOSSIBLE for her to be eating more NOW (LOSING WEIGHT) than BEFORE (GAINING WEIGHT).

FFS. Basic reading comprehension, people. Learn it before you get high and mighty over nothing.

The reason people are having trouble with your statement is because you failed to insert a comma in the proper place. Commas save lives.

Where did I fail to use a comma?
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Eating more NOW because NOW I am trying to do it correctly.

She did say she upped her calories since she joined.

So I upped my calories.

She did say she upped her calories since she joined.I am saying I am NOW eating more calories and I would still like to lose weight NOW but in a healthier manner.

Go back and read your last sentence.
  • pastryari
    Options

She did say she upped her calories since she joined.

So I upped my calories.

She did say she upped her calories since she joined.I am saying I am NOW eating more calories and I would still like to lose weight NOW but in a healthier manner.

Go back and read your last sentence.

Her OP only says that she is eating more NOW. Now meaning what? Now after being overweight, she's eating more than she was eating is what I got from her post. Then she goes on to talk about size/frequency of meals which is even further confusing and a completely different point.

Read her post:
    Adini i know what you mean but the fact is im now on diet chef which is calorie counting and portion sized meals that are ready made and Im eating more because i never ate breakfast or snacks but had mcdonalds for example or takeaway at meals times. now im having 3 meals a day and snacks :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My thought is that you want to eat the maximum number of calories that will allow you to lose weight. Going too low is never good for you. Your metabolism will slow down if you don't eat enough; you don't want that.
  • pastryari
    Options
    OP, regardless of whatever was lost in translation and presumed "rude, condescending, or judgmental" (none of which applied but whatever), my advice still stands. If you're having trouble reaching your calorie goal, eat more calorie dense foods. Simple as that.
  • edsolomon
    edsolomon Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! I cannot answer the question, "not enough calories... good or bad" because I do now know your goals, your body type, what you normally eat, how often you exercise, and your level of activity during the day. I can tell you, from experience, that starting a "diet" is like poorly introducing yourself to someone for the first time. Make a good impressino on your body!

Before I knew what I was doing I followed the website's recommendation of 1200 calories a day based on my weightloss goals. I sustained this level of caloric intake for about two weeks and then "fell off the wagon", so to speak. I lost some weight and I put it back on in three weeks.

Sometimes 1200 calories seems like a lot and sometimes it's not enough. (It depends on what you eat!) If you normally eat 2,000 a day then I would start with a deficit of 300 calories, eat 1,700 a day. If you are new to losing weight then you want to ease your body into a sustainable routine. Your body will love you when you lose weight at a healthy speed.

*If you're serious about losing weight consult a nutritionist and personal trainer!
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be a bore here, but take the slanging off a thread.

OP - don't apologise for not knowing everything immediately. Weight loss, gain and maintenance is a learning curve - some people need a few attempts to get it right, some need more/less. The most important thing is that you've recognised you may need some assistance and have come to the right place. I see both sides of this coin, but unfortunately forums lose the translation of meaning.

Feel free to add me as a friend or send a message - I'm definitely not an oracle on this weight loss malarkey (I'm constantly learning) but if I can help in anyway I will do so.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Maybe she meant she's eating more than she used to because she's eating healthier lower calorie foods???? I know when I stopped all the junk, the fast food, the every night ice cream and incorporated healthier foods I realized just how much food I could eat and sustain a calorie deficit and it's a lot, more than I was before.....like the 7 oz salmon steak, 2 to 3 cups broccoli or other green veggies, the small sweet potato....that adds up to about 500 calories versus the big mac/fries that could reach to 1400. Big difference there.

In either case, there isn't any need to be condescending or rude to anyone looking for help on these forums..../shakes head

OP, you can add me to your friends as well if you'd like :smile:
  • m0jk
    m0jk Posts: 133
    Options
    omgawd what a head ache.. just to clarify for adini.. im have to eat 1200 calories on the diet ive been on for the past 4 days, im eating more quantity in food than before i started the diet to get to 1200 calories because the food i was eating before the diet (that made me put the weight on) was alot less in quantity but alot higher in calories because it wasnt healthy food.

i give up if you dont understand it because im confusing myself now lol

ANYWAY THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! ITS MUCH APPRECIATED, I am taking all this in and happy to add friends :)

just for info i am here to lose weight and get advice but even if i wasnt its no ones business but mine ;)
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    omgawd what a head ache.. just to clarify for adini.. im have to eat 1200 calories on the diet ive been on for the past 4 days, im eating more quantity in food than before i started the diet to get to 1200 calories because the food i was eating before the diet (that made me put the weight on) was alot less in quantity but alot higher in calories because it wasnt healthy food.

ANYWAY THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! ITS MUCH APPRECIATED, I am taking all this in and happy to add friends :)

just for info i am here to lose weight and get advice but even if i wasnt its no ones business but mine ;)
    You made perfect sense to me
  • m0jk
    Options
    thank god for that! haha ;)
  • aprilgal412
    Options
    I understood what you were saying from the very beginning. I too find that I am eating more healthier foods then before when I would skip a meal or eat a high calorie food - It is all about researching the foods you eat, making changes and getting healthy. It is also about reading your body - since I have been adding more fuel to my body, I am not constantly hungry and I do not have the urge to grab a high calorie snack. Good luck with your journey.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1200 is to few

lower than 1200 is really too few
  • TinaLRoman
    TinaLRoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thank god for that! haha ;)

I understood also. 1200 for your height is a good starting point to see if your weight drops. Calories are king. While 1200 calories of "healthy" eating is going to feel better than 1200 calories of junk food, calories are still calories. You said yourself, the calories you were eating before were higher and that is why you gained weight. Monitor like I said, if the weight is coming off at 1200 then you won't need to change anything.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks missy i cant exercise right now for medical reasons but i need to loss the weight

You may not be able to do calistenics, but can you walk? Or do arm lifts with a heavy can of tomatoes? Or simple leg lifts with only your own body weight for resistance? Any movement you make is exercise and every little bit counts!
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if you are 5'9 eating just 1200 calories is not enough. Try calculating your TDEE: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Then subtract 20% from that TDEE and that is the amount of calories you should be taking in approximately.

There are two things you can do when you fill this thing in: Fill in your activity to match your activity each day as best as you can INcluding exercise, and do not eat back your exercise calories (then don't log exercise calories in mfp).
    OR
    or you can fill in your activity level EXcluding exercise (for me that would be pretty much sedentary) and eat back your exercise calories (you then do log your exercise in mfp and you just eat back your calories until that "remaining"counter hits zero. )

Hope that helps.

Reading the road map that was linked here before is also a good idea.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1200 is to few

lower than 1200 is really too few

this!
  • jj2step
    jj2step Posts: 16 Member
    Options

You made perfect sense to me

me too lol feel free to add me we can do this together xxxx
  • m0jk
    Options
    Thanks missy i cant exercise right now for medical reasons but i need to loss the weight

You may not be able to do calistenics, but can you walk? Or do arm lifts with a heavy can of tomatoes? Or simple leg lifts with only your own body weight for resistance? Any movement you make is exercise and every little bit counts!

Yes i can walk a little , im hoping to increase the distance to more than 30 paces without seizing up like i need spraying with wd40 :) everytime i try to excercise im stuck on my back for a week or so in pain again.. maybe im doing too much to start off with ???? another reason im here :) ill look into calistenics, never heard of it before thanks :)