Back of neck feeling sore. Which part of the workout is causing this?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
Today, and I have noticed this on a few other occasions, the back of my neck is feeling sore. Yesterday was weight training day, day before this was swimming. I cannot figure out which part of my workout is causing this.
The suspects are two:
1) Swimming. I am new to this, and working on my breathing, which means that I am still lifting and turning my head more than I should. Which is not good and I am working on this, but wouldn't it cause the soreness the next day and not 2 days later?
2) The only part of my strength training routine I am not 100% confident about are deadlifts. I know my main form problem is tending to round my back. Which I correct as soon as I realise it, but I know it happens, so I know a few reps here and there happen with not perfectly streight back. But would this cause a sore back neck? I am not using too much weight, as I am trying to fix the form issue. And I am not looking up, which I would expect to cause the neck pain, I am trying to look streight ahead but I believe I am probably looking lower than I should.

Replies

• HirnKhan
    HirnKhan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you looking up during your deadlifts? You should look straight forward - so when starting your lift you'd look down and when standing up forward.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    HirnKhan wrote: »
    Are you looking up during your deadlifts? You should look straight forward - so when starting your lift you'd look down and when standing up forward.
    No, I am probably looking lower than I should.
  • HirnKhan
    HirnKhan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you clearly state you are looking lower - somehow I missed that. Next best guesses would be shrugging your shoulders while lifting or having the bar too far away from your legs, thus lifting with your back and not your legs.