USDA MyPlate

2»

Replies

  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    This counts as one plate, right?

    sushi-plate.jpg
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    This counts as one plate, right?
    Yes. Also, when should I be over on Friday for supper?
  • oreo_whore
    oreo_whore Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited April 2015
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Read again.. 1/2 is fruit and veggies (most likely most or all would be veggies)

    It is a flawed idea, due to the calorie density difference among the things that can fill the spot on the plate
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Peanut butter is not a protein. It's a fat. You shouldn't use it to increase your protein intake.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Read again.. 1/2 is fruit and veggies (most likely most or all would be veggies)

    It is a flawed idea, due to the calorie density difference among the things that can fill the spot on the plate

    MyPlate and other diets that encourage this type of "filling your plate" also encourage portions sizes and calorie limits. Dash is similar to the MyPlate and both discuss calorie counts. I have checked in to both plans.

    Dash I know has different calorie levels starting at 1400...you just adjust your number of servings to fit what you need.

    It is not a free for all.

  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    not sure it would work for me.

    I eat veggies and starches but I prefer my protein to be more than "normal"

    the Min recommended aren't in line with my goals.

    I will continue to log and weigh/measure my food...better than guessing and being wrong.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Do you think it will be easy to maintain if you follow the MyPlate rule for 3 meals a day?

    That is: 1/2 your plate should be fruit/veg, 1/4 protein and the remaining 1/4 starch?

    For me it wouldn't. It confuses me. Fruit and vegetables belong to two different groups, and I don't have fruit for dinner, maybe dessert, but I don't have dessert every day. Where's the fat?

    My dinners are usually like this: 1/3 fatty protein (fish/meat), 1/3 starch, 1/3 vegetables.

    All other meals should contain some source of fatty protein and vegetable. Some of the meals will contain starch and/or fruit. Ideally three servings of fruits and one serving of nuts per day, and dairy. As varied as possible and no diet foods if I can avoid it. Keeping an eye on calories and macros in addition to this, makes me confident I'll maintain weight and health quite effortlessly.

    I'll eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Read again.. 1/2 is fruit and veggies (most likely most or all would be veggies)

    It is a flawed idea, due to the calorie density difference among the things that can fill the spot on the plate

    MyPlate and other diets that encourage this type of "filling your plate" also encourage portions sizes and calorie limits. Dash is similar to the MyPlate and both discuss calorie counts. I have checked in to both plans.

    Dash I know has different calorie levels starting at 1400...you just adjust your number of servings to fit what you need.

    It is not a free for all.

    Lol. I was trying to imagine myself going to one of these sites, and trying to adjust each portion to fit in a plate and get my calories and then figuring the adjustments I'd have to make in order to get all my macros and nutrients. My brain froze up and screamed at me. :open_mouth: For some reason, it just hit me that that sounded like way more work than just weighing and logging my food here. Idk. Maybe to other people it seems easy. To me, it's just that one step too much to make me want to do it.

    All that either MyPlate and Dash are doing is encouraging a balanced diet. Neither restricts any food group.

    I already try to balance out my diet and am partially using the Dash diet format...3-4 servings of vegetables...3 serving of fruit...5 servings of grains...etc...etc.

    I weigh and measure everything.

    The main thing that I have come to realize...what constitutes a serving.

    I have hypertension so I am working my way to completely following the Dash diet (which is similar to MyPlate minus some of the sodium). Neither diet advocates not counting calories but for those that don't want to measure and way it is an option.

  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Do you think it will be easy to maintain if you follow the MyPlate rule for 3 meals a day?

    That is: 1/2 your plate should be fruit/veg, 1/4 protein and the remaining 1/4 starch?

    For me it wouldn't. It confuses me. Fruit and vegetables belong to two different groups, and I don't have fruit for dinner, maybe dessert, but I don't have dessert every day. Where's the fat?

    My dinners are usually like this: 1/3 fatty protein (fish/meat), 1/3 starch, 1/3 vegetables.

    All other meals should contain some source of fatty protein and vegetable. Some of the meals will contain starch and/or fruit. Ideally three servings of fruits and one serving of nuts per day, and dairy. As varied as possible and no diet foods if I can avoid it. Keeping an eye on calories and macros in addition to this, makes me confident I'll maintain weight and health quite effortlessly.

    I'll eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time :)

    The Dash diet recommends 27%...I think that the percentage for MyPlate is similar.

  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    It all depends open how high you can stack the meat! :D

    Seriously, it's a good plan. I always load up on veg and protein and back down on the sugars and starches.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Read again.. 1/2 is fruit and veggies (most likely most or all would be veggies)

    It is a flawed idea, due to the calorie density difference among the things that can fill the spot on the plate

    MyPlate and other diets that encourage this type of "filling your plate" also encourage portions sizes and calorie limits. Dash is similar to the MyPlate and both discuss calorie counts. I have checked in to both plans.

    Dash I know has different calorie levels starting at 1400...you just adjust your number of servings to fit what you need.

    It is not a free for all.

    Lol. I was trying to imagine myself going to one of these sites, and trying to adjust each portion to fit in a plate and get my calories and then figuring the adjustments I'd have to make in order to get all my macros and nutrients. My brain froze up and screamed at me. :open_mouth: For some reason, it just hit me that that sounded like way more work than just weighing and logging my food here. Idk. Maybe to other people it seems easy. To me, it's just that one step too much to make me want to do it.

    All that either MyPlate and Dash are doing is encouraging a balanced diet. Neither restricts any food group.

    I already try to balance out my diet and am partially using the Dash diet format...3-4 servings of vegetables...3 serving of fruit...5 servings of grains...etc...etc.

    Neither diet advocates not counting calories but for those that don't want to measure and way it is an option.

    I have no problem with a balanced diet. I have no problem getting a certain number of vegetable servings, grain servings, etc... per day. I think it's the idea that I would need to have a certain number of each for each meal (and fit it on a plate) that gets my anxiety going. Tonight, for example, I'm having beef stew. Lots of protein, vegetables and starches in the form of potatoes. it doesn't fit neatly into a category, and for me, that would be just too much work to figure out.

    I do understand that for many, many people, these ideas would work. I just had a co-worker tell me today that she doesn't think she can do what I did with MFP because she feels she would need a meal plan. She wants someone to give her recipes, or tell her what to eat. For her, I think these plans would be effective.

    There is no right or wrong here, only what works for a particular person. :smile:

    I understand...I am a big casserole lover. I figure when I make one...I'll just give it my best shot on the proportions.

    I agree...I think everyone has to find the best way. I think...at least to this point...trying to be overly strict on any eating plan sets one up for failure...at least it does in my case. I don't get too uptight if I happen to "blow" it one day...or even two days! I just do the best that I can on any given day.

  • oreo_whore
    oreo_whore Posts: 9 Member
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Peanut butter is not a protein. It's a fat. You shouldn't use it to increase your protein intake.

    Peanut butter has protein in it. It also has fat. You can absolutely use it to increase protein intake.
  • oreo_whore
    oreo_whore Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Peanut butter is not a protein. It's a fat. You shouldn't use it to increase your protein intake.

    Peanut butter has protein in it. It also has fat. You can absolutely use it to increase protein intake.

    Also, where does dairy go on the myplate?

  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    1/2 plate sounds like a lot of fruit to me -- a lot of carbs and sugar
    The plan also seems to be missing some food groups. What are you supposed to do with peanut butter? It's protein but very calorie dense and should probably not fill 1/4 of your plate

    Peanut butter is not a protein. It's a fat. You shouldn't use it to increase your protein intake.

    Peanut butter has protein in it. It also has fat. You can absolutely use it to increase protein intake.

    Also, where does dairy go on the myplate?

    There's a cup to the side for dairy.