Women over 50

Options
My name is Aliza. I've been watching my weight, on and off diets, all my life.

Things were pretty much in control from 30 to 60 with lots and lots of exercise but since 60 I've had knee issues which have put an end to most of that. I'm a yoga instructor and spend about 4 hours a week doing yoga but, while that's great for stability, flexibility and peace of mind, it doesn't do much for burning calories.

Over the past 2 years I've put about 15 lbs. on my small 5'2" frame. Aside from not liking how I look with that extra weight, the pressure on my knees (and other joints) further limits my enjoyment in activities I've always loved - like hiking.

I've been half-heartedly trying to take the weight off but half-heartedly hasn't taken off even one pound...or rather, that same pound came off and came right back on a few dozen times.

Two days ago I started keeping a food diary and it has changed the way I eat. Who wants to see "entire bag of doritos" or "big piece of crumb cake" or even "12 oz. steak" in the food diary?

Hopefully, I'll stick with this. I can't bring myself to go to OA. I tried it once and the women were way too religious for me. But I'd like a support group of post-menopausal women who know what that whole thing is like. Losing weight after menopause is a whole different ballgame.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Aliza

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have AO--a type of arthritis. I have a problem with flexability and have just started "yoga flex". However, I have been doing stretching 3 times a week, plus swimming and acqua-gym for 20 years. For a good workout that doesn't stress your joints, I recommend swimming. You will find that exercise will make you feel and look better, but to lose weight you have to cut your calories. That's why MFP is great for tracking both exercise and calories. Days of exercise will give you a few more calories to eat. Remember that as we get older, we have to move more, not less. Best of luck to you. B)
  • AEPHubinc2015
    AEPHubinc2015 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know I should swim but I find it very boring and all the logistics annoying. Getting undressed, wet, showered, dressed...argh!!
    Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try to get in the habit this summer....but, knowing me and my history with swimming, probably not.
    I spent 20 years teaching hip hop and highly choreographied aerobics - basically doing a job on my joints. Now I may be feeling the effects of all those years...or maybe it's just natural aging. Doesn't much matter. My knees, ankles and hands are pretty uncomfortable. Yoga is a great way to hang onto flexibility (or increase flexibility), increase stability and strengthen the muscles around joints to give joints a rest. Are you enjoying it?
    I woke up today in a kind of cranky mood and it hasn't improved much. For me, that makes being careful about my food intake harder but I've managed to stay within my calorie intake goal framework. OMG!