Protein bar recommendations and advice :)

Options
Hello everyone :)

Okay so I am TOTALLY in love with protein shakes (mine tend to be choc peanut diet whey from the protein works with a cup of unsweetened almond milk and a sachet of original oats! So delish!!)

I am intending to have one every morning for breakfast as they fill me up pretty damn well...
However, as recommended in a previous post, the best way to keep muscle and burn fat is to increases protein and decrease carbs ever so slightly. So I am attempting this! I am trying to incorporate protein bars into my diet to do this and currently use maxilean dark mint chocolate bars but at 207cals they are quite heavy going!

I have just purchased quest cookies and cream bars. Anybody use these? How do you incorporate them into your diet? :)

Thank you
E x

Replies

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well I eat a protein bar whenever I fancy one or when my protein is low and I can't be bothered to cook another meal/snack.

Oh try microwaving a quest bar for 30secs. Seriously gooey yumminess!

Are you lifting as well to help preserve muscle? Increasing protein alone won't help much.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat the quest bars for breakfast. If I need to shave off a few calories the cookies and cream and double chocolate chunk are 170 and 160. My favorite is chocolate chip cookie dough at 190 calories. Still a little less than Pure Protein I believe.

So to answer...I use them by eating them.
  • kern11
    kern11 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So I'm not really answering your question exactly... but Combat protein bars and the best tasting bars everrrrrrr. Quest are good too, but combat still trumps em. Just sayin :)
  • kas1317
    kas1317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i am addictied to quest bars!! YUMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cookies n cream is my favorite!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've tried a few of the quest bars and they are NASTY. I have no idea what the buzz is about with them. Sure, they are slightly lower in cals, but still. Cals > cardboard.

Pro Bar Base are pretty decent, and Clif Builder chocolate mint is good too. The clif is much easier to find (at least near me), but either are good options and similar in terms of cals/macros. Neither will be mistaken for a Snickers bar, but they don't have to be "choked down" like most protein bars.

Regardless, I typically use shakes to supplement my protein intake and bars for convenience when my kids have me running 9 different directions and I can't eat the way I'd like. IMO, they are a crutch and should be used as such, not as a regular part of your diet. You are having a shake each morning, and now talking about adding a bar to your diet. Don't undervalue the benefit or real food.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    If I need a satisfying snack with some protein in it, I grab a bar and eat it. I've tried quite a few and I have to say either Quest bars or Luna bars. I didn't think about the microwaving thing until I saw someone mention it. It's the only way to fly with Quest bars. Luna bars have a little more sugar and less protein than Quest, but they are a decent substitute for me and are readily available at stores. Pure Protein tastes like pure poop to me. Once in a while I eat a Snickers Marathon bars. I really like the taste of those. Of course, it's like eating a normal Snickers bar, but I don't care.

Those Marathon Snickers must be really good. My late husband liked them, but Walmart was always out of stock. :(