Post workout soreness/ muscle discomfort question

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
OK, so along with the regular and expected muscle soreness when I up my game in the gym, sometimes I get a problem that's like Restless Leg Syndrome but all over my body. Usually It happens like 12-24 hours after the workout, sometimes even 2 days later. I can help it somewhat by consuming potassium and magnesium, but it's a very unpleasant feeling and I was wondering if anyone had found a method to drive away that "squirrely" crawly restless feeling completely. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Here’s a few things:
    - Water - make sure you’re getting plenty of water.
    - Nutrion - Protein and minerals (potassium being a key one as you mentioned)
    - Stretching afterward
    - Light activity - Make sure you’re still moving around on rest days.
    - Keep progressing through your program - Muscle efficiency improves with use.

• gothchiq
    Options
    OK... drink more water, have less of this discomfort? I can totally do that. I do get a good amount of protein. Otherwise I would have zero luck building muscle! I suppose a walk during lunch break would be a good thing to do today.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Static stretching at night of the muscles that I worked that day made a world of difference for me. I was limited in what I could do one day because I was still "suffering" from the aches of what I had done the day prior. I began static stretching and it became one of those slap yourself on the head and say "I wish I had done this months ago!" moments.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have RLS, and it is very much linked to my iron levels. If I'm low in iron then I get it a lot worse and I'm miserable because I'm trying to fall asleep and all my legs want to do is thrash around. Otherwise, stretching before bed should help if working out is causing it as well. I hope something helps you as I know how terrible it feels.
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Tons of stretching and foam rolling...the foam roller was a HUGE help for me!
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I need to get a foam roller. I've been sort of sporadic and lazy about my iron supplements... time to change that, then.