Vegetarian and Gluten Free - Need some help increasing my calories?

Options
I'm a lifelong vegetarian and was diagnosed with Coeliac disease almost 5 years ago. Having lost 5 and half stone, and maintained it for 2 and a half years, in the last 18 months ill health and a lack of exercise has led me to regain 3 stone. I am finally fighting fit again and have jumped straight back in to doing a lot of exercise. My trouble is I am struggling to eat enough calories to fuel my workouts and as a result my weight loss is almost non-existent. Having done this weight loss journey before I know the issue is that I'm not eating enough but given how restricted my diet is now I am struggling to add these extra calories in. I don't like GF substitutes so I eat mostly fresh vegetables and rice. I have gluten free porridge for breakfast but that is the only substitute I eat. I have recently started adding flax seed to my morning porridge which has helped increase my calorie count a bit.

I guess what I'm getting at is I am looking for a way to add extra calories into my diet (I eat about 13-1400 a day and need to be hitting 17-1800) without adding a lot of extra bulk. I eat plenty and am full, but most of what I eat is very low in calories.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nuts - delicious and calorie dense
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Add fat - you need it for good health! It's the most calorie dense macro, so will bump up you4 cals without a lot of volume. Plenty of plant based or vegetarian options! Whole eggs, cook in oil (coconut oil or ghee), drizzle vegies in olive oil. Avocado, seeds, nuts/nut butter,coconut products
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do eat eggs, and cheese, and cook with olive oil. Nuts are a good idea though - thanks! I used to eat 25g of nuts a few times a week so will give that a go. Don't know why I didn't think of that before!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    oils, butter, cream, avocadoes, nuts, cheese, ice cream, chocolate, alcohol, crisps
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifelong vegetarian and was diagnosed with Coeliac disease almost 5 years ago. Having lost 5 and half stone, and maintained it for 2 and a half years, in the last 18 months ill health and a lack of exercise has led me to regain 3 stone. I am finally fighting fit again and have jumped straight back in to doing a lot of exercise. My trouble is I am struggling to eat enough calories to fuel my workouts and as a result my weight loss is almost non-existent. Having done this weight loss journey before I know the issue is that I'm not eating enough but given how restricted my diet is now I am struggling to add these extra calories in. I don't like GF substitutes so I eat mostly fresh vegetables and rice. I have gluten free porridge for breakfast but that is the only substitute I eat. I have recently started adding flax seed to my morning porridge which has helped increase my calorie count a bit.

I guess what I'm getting at is I am looking for a way to add extra calories into my diet (I eat about 13-1400 a day and need to be hitting 17-1800) without adding a lot of extra bulk. I eat plenty and am full, but most of what I eat is very low in calories.

You are not losing weight because you are not eating enough. It's the opposite if your not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. My guess is you think you're not eating enough because you are not counting calories accurately. Weigh all your solids measure all liquids and find accurate entries on the database. Find out how much you are really eating and adjust accordingly. If you increase your calories and your not losing now all that will happen is you will over time gain weight.

Good luck

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Full fat greek yogurt will give you a healthy punch in calories as well. I like the cheese and avocado thing too. Nuts are wonderful! If you only have 300-400 more calories to add to your diet, one or two snacks from the above will give you enough cals for the day. Good luck! :smiley:
  • power_panda
    power_panda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a vegan who has also needed to increase calorie intake: hit the peanut butter, tahini and other nut butters.. also nuts! and nut/dried fruit mixes are super high cal. Avocadoes.. generally, adding good oils will give you tons of nutrients and will bump the calorie content so much. they are so easy to add to any meal! and make it tastier..
  • Krystle1984
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

You are not losing weight because you are not eating enough. It's the opposite if your not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. My guess is you think you're not eating enough because you are not counting calories accurately. Weigh all your solids measure all liquids and find accurate entries on the database. Find out how much you are really eating and adjust accordingly. If you increase your calories and your not losing now all that will happen is you will over time gain weight.

Good luck

I weigh and measure everything and log accurately. I'm not stupid, as I said before I have already lost 5 and a half stone. I know how my body works. I had a similar problem first time around and by eating a chocolate bar everyday for a fortnight on top of my usual food lost 10lbs in that 2 weeks. I am not eating enough to fuel my workouts so my body is storing fat. Having been diagnosed with Coeliacs there isn't a lot of chocolate I can eat anymore, I would also like to get the calories from something a bit healthier! I have been losing weight but half a lb here and there when with the amount I have to lose and the exercise I'm doing it should be more.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I have stocked up on some cashews, walnuts and pecans and will see how I get on! :smile:
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Also add some green juices/smoothies. They taste lovely, they are healthy and you can add calories with them.
  • Krystle1984
    Options
    Also add some green juices/smoothies. They taste lovely, they are healthy and you can add calories with them.

Any suggestions on a nice easy juice for a beginner? I have a Vitamix but have never used it for juices before!