PHUL -> SL or SS

Options
Hi,

I have been on PHUL for the past 6 months and want to switch to a 3 days/week program for the summer period (well actually my wife wants me to switch which automatically makes it seem like a good idea to me ;) ). Both SL and SS have caught my interest and I was wondering whether anybody had any experience with both since I am unsure what the dis-/advantages of the two are and which one to choose?

Thanks
Michael

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I looked up PHUL which seems to be an intermediate program. The programs up there I think are beginner programs.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It depends where you are with recovery/linear gains.

Both these programmes are designed to max out beginner's gains. If you have few of them left you may want to check out other 3 day/week programmes that have a progression that more closely matches your lifting age.

Popular 3 day/week intermediate routines are stuff like Madcows/Bill Starr's Power Routine or the Texas Method. You can also run four day a week intermediate routines Mon/Wed/Fri/Mon/Repeat - many older lifters with crappy recovery do stuff like this with 5/3/1.

As to the SL vs SS - there's less volume on SS at the outset: 3x5, but I believe SL has you drop to 3x5 when the going gets tough and gains dry up. The other main difference is that SS has the power clean and SL has rows. Some people are frightened of the technical aspect of power cleans and prefer to row, so that may be something to consider. Other than that, they are basically the same/similar. SL is rebranded SS which is rebranded Bill Starr 5x5 (which is probably rebranded Reg Park and before).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I looked up PHUL which seems to be an intermediate program. The programs up there I think are beginner programs.

Agreed...PHUL looks a lot like 5/3/1 with a few changes...

SL I have done. I started it in Sept 2013 and did the 5x5 until about May of 2014 then switched it up to a 3x5 as it was taking up to 90mins on workout A.

What program you choose depends on what your goals are.

I am now doing 5/3/1 4x a week but it would easily be a 3x a week workout.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Agreed...PHUL looks a lot like 5/3/1 with a few changes...

SL I have done. I started it in Sept 2013 and did the 5x5 until about May of 2014 then switched it up to a 3x5 as it was taking up to 90mins on workout A.

What program you choose depends on what your goals are.

I am now doing 5/3/1 4x a week but it would easily be a 3x a week workout.

^To expand on this, some people squash together MP & DL day and keep SQ and Bench on their own days for 3x week.