Breakfast Foods

Options
Quick question! What do you eat for breakfast? I am struggling with eating breakfast, but I've read multiple things that suggest eating breakfast will boost your metabolism and help you feel overall better.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't need boosting. If you don't like eating in the morning, you don't have to.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This morning I had a small smoothie of spinach, kefir, chia seeds and frozen raspberries & a piece of whole grain toast with PB 2. I have been bringing smoothies to work with me lately, but I need something else to feel like I am eating. Sometimes its hard boiled eggs, or avocado toast....
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Usually just a cup of coffee & multivitamin. I actually eat something at around 10am and it is either greek yogurt, hard boiled egg, oatmeal with chia and cinnamon, smoothie, cottage cheese with fruit / veggies
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast doesn't "boost" your metabolism...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't. It won't impact your weight loss.

This morning I had a tortilla with scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese in it.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bananas, apples and almond butter most days.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, the "metabolism boost" thing is really not all that accurate. That said, though, if I don't eat breakfast, I find myself starving later in the day, and am more likely to rationalize not-so-good choices! So I alternate quick omelets (one egg, plus leftover veggies--often mushrooms and spinach); smoothies and toast; and oatmeal with fruit and a little stevia. All come in at about 200- 250 calories, and keep me from making 400 to 700-calorie mistakes later in the day!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Nothing/Anything.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    sometimes i don't eat anything, but if i do, i might have an egg, a slice of toast or some yogurt. i guess it depends on my mood. one day i had left-overs of dinner from the night before. :smile:
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Quick question! What do you eat for breakfast? I am struggling with eating breakfast, but I've read multiple things that suggest eating breakfast will boost your metabolism and help you feel overall better.

Nothing magical about eating at a certain time in the morning/day. It's a preference thing, nothing more. Also-breakfast literally means 'breaking fast,' which means the first meal of the day after you wake. That does not mean, however, that said first meal of the day needs to be in the morning hours. I usually break my daily fast at around 11am with my largest meal of the day-today I broke fast at 11:30am with a large stir-fry of evoo, brown rice, two scrambled eggs, carrots, peas, green peppers, onions and a whole pkg of mushrooms. I also had 1/2 cup of yogurt with a serving of walnuts mixed in along with it :)
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have oats so simple plain porridge sachet made with skimmed milk, frozen cherries (they defrost in the microwave) and topped with greek yoghurt or skyr. approx 285 cal, good dose of protein and oats to fill you up :-)
  • destinymarie89
    destinymarie89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal :)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't usually eat until after noon. It's usually overnight oatmeal
    rolled oats (not quick)
    yogurt
    chia seeds
    milk
    and then I add maybe raisins and pecans, apples and cinnamon, shredded coconut, mini chocolate chips, sliced almonds, bananas and peanut butter, honey and apples, coconut and dried cranberries, pomegranates (when in season), hemp seeds - the combinations are limitless!

Because I don't actually eat a 'breakfast' (per se) - I don't worry about the calories - it's usually about 500 or so but it keeps me full until around 3 or 4 when I eat a snack

• carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I make plain oatmeal and add any of the following: sliced almonds, chopped hazelnuts, craisins, Central Roast Women's Vitality Mix (nuts, seeds, dried fruits), fresh pear, fresh blueberries, etc. It keeps me satisfied well into the late morning, early afternoon.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    a good podcast about intermittent fasting is on YouTube by Chalene Johnson and Melissa McAllister - We have been told for years to eat breakfast. I am never hungry at breakfast time - I believe intermittent fasting works for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6uKXT8oYAY
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    scibba wrote: »
    a good podcast about intermittent fasting is on YouTube by Chalene Johnson and Melissa McAllister - We have been told for years to eat breakfast. I am never hungry at breakfast time - I believe intermittent fasting works for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6uKXT8oYAY

I do 16:8IF as part of my maintenance plan and I <3 it.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi.... Be creative... You don't have to go nuts and eat things out of your comfort zone. If you like bacon and eggs, eat bacon and eggs but do it a different way. Maybe use 1 egg and substitute in egg whites. Or go all egg whites or egg beaters. I found microwave bacon at Sam's club that is 70 calories for 4 slices. Its perfect! When I want a change I will use turkey bacon.

If you want a sandwich use an 80 calorie light hamburger bun. There are ways to eat what you like but not go crazy. Explore!

Mark
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1400 calories daily if inactive, but I try to get activity in every day, strenuous activity at least 4 days a week, so I am taking in more most days.

Always: 15 calorie almost completely black coffee made from freshly ground beans. No sugar, I cut that out eons ago.

I like to have breakfast, and I like to have it early enough in the morning that I can head out for a run or other exercise before lunch. There are probably a higher percentage of carbs in my average breakfast than any other meal, most of which tend to be fairly low carb. I'm finding by end of day the percentages are generally balanced out close to the MFP recommendation but I am not specifically trying to do so other than keeping an occasional eye on protein %.

Most often: multi-grain porridge oats; 1/2 cup frozen blueberries; spoonful or two of organic yoghurt (2% greek or vanilla). 310 calories

Occasionally: blueberries, yoghurt, 1/4 - 1/2 cup granola sprinkled on top.

Once or twice a week: 2 egg omelette with a slice of cheese melted in the middle.

Once on weekend: When we are all at home it's tradition to make pancakes for the family; instead of 4 (past times) I'll have 2 medium home made pancakes with fruit and nuts. Usually yoghurt on top but sometimes real maple syrup. It's a treat. Very occasionally... bacon too. These days I'm also running 10 - 20km on weekends so I'm not overly concerned about a few extra calories for breakfast.

Far less often: Slice of toasted fresh bread with natural peanut butter. I don't bake bread as often as I used to, much to the disappointment of the rest of the family. Hmnn... think I will get a couple loaves going today.

Rarely: nothing. If I have to rush out door I'll have my coffee, a banana and/or a small handful of almonds or hazelnuts (under 1/4 cup) and take a Cliff bar or something like that. Or sometimes I'll have a bread-less sandwich - 2 or 4 slices of natural turkey + a slice of provolone or swiss or cheddar or whatever in the middle and something else. Or left-overs. I'm not fixated on breakfast foods for breakfast.

I wouldn't make it until lunch without having something.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I actually find it funny that eating breakfast helps you lose weight. My daughter and my husband are both very thin and neither one can eat first thing in the morning. When my daughter was little I always made her eat breakfast because time till lunch was way too long and they don't let you eat in between in school. However, more than one slice of toast was a lot. When she got to high school she really didn't eat breakfast and no weight gain happened.

I on the other hand am starving when I wake up, have struggled with gaining weight my whole life. I am not huge, but never really thin. It would be easy for me to get way too heavy if I didn't watch it. I eat breakfast every morning.

So there is no magic to breakfast in the morning. The only key is that your body needs fuel and if it doesn't get enough then it will not function properly. For me that means breakfast and eating often during the day. For others it means three meals, for others it means 4 meals.

Listen to what your body is telling you, it isn't always perfect, but we were taught as children to ignore when we got hungry and eat on a schedule, that does not mean that is correct. (breakfast before school, lunch at 12, afterschool snack at 3, dinner at 6) Many of us were also told they must eat all their food, but if you are full 1/2 way thru why must you eat more? The only rule in my house was that if you wanted desert you ate your veggies. If you couldn't finish your veggies at least, how could you be hungry for desert?
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hugry I am. Sometimes a full breakfast of eggs, homefries, etc and other times yogurt and fruit.