What to do with Pork Mince...

Options
Hey MFP,
I bought some pork mince as it was on offer and wondered if any of you had any recipe suggestions for me to try out with it.

Replies

• LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Not to be an idiot - but is that ground pork, unseasoned?

We bought half of a homegrown pig last year and some of it was packaged as ground pork. We tried using it in spaghetti sauce instead of italian sausage it was awful. I had a friend suggest I mix the pork with our ground elk and add seasoning to make breakfast sausage patties without a bunch of sodium - it turned out wonderful! Mix 1# of pork with 1# of beef (we used elk/venison), sage, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, brown sugar (you could try some real maple syrup). Hope that helps.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Never heard of pork mince, so I googled it. I came up with this thread about what to do with Pork Mince....
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=167012
    HTH :smile:
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    You could do the following for a stick to the ribs kind of soup.

3 slices of whole grain bread
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup of pureed cooked sweet potato (easy in the micro or get baby food version)
    1/4 skim milk
    2T parmesan
    1/4 tsp.pepper and paprika
    1/2 pound minced meat (any type)

Cube the bread, soak it in the beaten egg and puree strir to break up the bread and then add the meat, mix till smooth. Roll into mini meatballs. Set aside in the fridge.

Cook whole wheat wagon wheels or bow tie or favourite fun larger size pasta till al dente.

Take a can of pureed tomatoes and add 1/4 cup of pureed carrots mix or puree together add 1/4 tsp salt and 3 cups of low sodium beef broth. Set aside
    Take one small onion and cut up stir in with two cloves of crushed garlic. Heat a non stick pan wioth 1 T of oil and add onion mixture cook until softened but not brown. Add the tomato mixture and bring to a boil, set back to medium high, add meat balls and cook until thoroughly done. !5 to 20 minutes, add back the pasta.

Serve with side of parmesan cheese and hot chillies.

This soup is nutrient packed, you will never know there are any veggies in it for those that do not like sweet potatoes or carrots, men love this soup as do children!!! It freezes well too!
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I normally use pork mince/turkey mince the same way I use normal beef mince. I use it in spaghetti, chilli con carne, lasagne, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. Anything that you make with mince, you can substitute your pork mince. I have never really tasted a difference, personally.
    Sometimes, I cook up a 500 gram mince mixed with onions, chopped peppers and grated carrots. When it is cooked, I take half of it out. I then use half mixed with beans for chilli and use the other half mixed with mushrooms and lentils to make spaghetti. It cuts down on the fat in the mince, adds more protein with the beans/lentils, and stretches one pack of mince over two meals to help save money. :smile:
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love it mixed with grated red onion,cumin,coriander and finely diced chillis ,squash it up really good ,then make into very small meatballs , leave them in the fridge to firm up ,while doing that I throw a load of chopped peppers ,onions and tomatoes in oven and bake slowly then blitz the veg down season with loads of freshly ground black pepper ,transfer the blitzed down veg to an oven proof dish and put the meatballs in bake in the oven ,lovely with a some fresh chopped coriander on top .
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Mmm MMM MMMMMMMMM!