Low impact exercise

Options
hi. I broke my ankle 12 months ago and have been left with plates and screws.
I thought I was healed enough to start back with exercise so I embarked on insanity. 2 weeks later and my ankle is sore and swollen and clearly not ready!
I need something low impact but that will help burn calories and get me bikini body. I hate swimming
I have Dumbbells but no other equipment- any suggestions?

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I love indoor rowing but the initial cost can be a factor. Great overall body workout with zero impact.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Walk At Home are low impact aerobics videos www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
    OR www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking+workouts

Rebounding (mini-trampoline).

Aqua aerobics (I know you have swimming)...but aqua zumba maybe?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    oops :*
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Had a similar thing happen many years ago. From what I recall, the main thing for recovery was has to walk as much as possoble, so you can build these muscles again and get flexibility back. I am assuming that if the dr was ok wit insanity, he/she has no objections to walking. Stop when you start feeling uncomfortable, and aim at increasing the distance weekly. Unfortunately, yes you got it, the best exercise for recovery and strengthening the muscles will be swimming, so unless you cannot swim at all, are scared of water etc, it might be worth tolerating for a couple of months, even if you hate it.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a modified form of yoga?
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has tons of workout videos for all fitness levels with modifications available in most of them - there's all kinds of treasures on there :)
    I use the low-impact ones a lot when my knee is acting up... Fantastic site though - it's free and doesn't require any equipment unless you pick a workout that needs it!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    I love indoor rowing but the initial cost can be a factor. Great overall body workout with zero impact.

Totally agree.