food makes me hungry

Options
just curious if anyone else has this happen?

i have been experimenting with fasting & intermittent fasting. i have noticed that if i wake up and eat, by 10:00 a.m., i am starving and i eat more during the day. if i don't eat upon rising, i feel fine for most of the day and can usually not eat until dinner. it's already after 11:00 and i'm not hungry at all (didn't eat when i got up today) what's up??

Replies

• trltayvia
    trltayvia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I am not mistaken, once you give your body fuel, it sets your metabolism for the day (or something to the same effect).

If I eat breakfast when I get to work by 7, I feel like I am dying of starvation by 9 am and will constantly look for something to eat every time I walk around for the rest of the day. Super awful. I try to only eat between 11 am and 7 pm to avoid this vicious circle of food desire.

To each their own though.. I feel like if eating later makes it easier to watch your intake for the day, then by all means go for it. It's what I *have* to do, otherwise I'll eat everything in sight.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I get ravenous if i eat breakfast. I can easily go all morning without thinking about food when I don't eat. So I started 16:8 IF because it just fits my lifestyle better.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Starving when I wake up, not so much after dinner.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Same here. I can go all day without eating and it not bother me, however the second I eat anything I am starving the rest of the day. Not fun.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    find what works and stick with it. breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and it doesn't leave me hungry. maybe try changing what your eating? otherwise skip it. there's no set rule u must eat it.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am the same! I've been waiting to eat my breakfast at around 10;30-11, I usually workout from 12-1 and then I eat a decent sized lunch around 1:15. Then I wait to eat my snack until almost 4 so I'm not racing for the snack cupboard when I get home to make supper at 6. It's still tempting to munch, but at least my stomach isn't growling ferociously while I cook!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When I first wake up on most days, I am starving. If I do not eat it gets worse.

The days I am ravenous are usually the day after a really big workout. Monday I am usually hungry because on Sunday I workout and clean the house then monday morning workout again. Because Sunday I am usually extra active, I get extra hungry on Monday. However, if I not as active on Sunday, not extra hungry.

However, even when not active there are just some days that I am starving all day no matter what. But everyday I wake up and eat breakfast first thing.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i guess every body is different. my mom told me she is the same as i am. we were laughing about it the other day. we both skipped breakfast (because we were in a hurry, not on purpose) and by noon, neither of us was hungry. we ended up not eating until dinner simply because we weren't hungry. i thought maybe there was some physiological explanation?? TFS your experiences. :blush:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast? Something with simple carbs and little fat, protein or fiber generally makes me hungrier. Whereas if I grab something with more fat/protein and some fiber, I'm set for hours.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    OP what are you eating for breakfast? SAD? All carbs? Try adding both protein and fat to your breakfast for a more filling breakfast.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast? Something with simple carbs and little fat, protein or fiber generally makes me hungrier. Whereas if I grab something with more fat/protein and some fiber, I'm set for hours.

it really doesn't matter what i eat - it gives me the same result. i have tried heavy protein/fat and also traditional breakfast foods. i have also eaten small amounts, and also tried eating very huge amounts. the moment food touches my lips, it's like it sets-off this huge hunger. :disappointed:

• WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    oh and by the way, i guess i'm not really complaining. today i didn't eat breakfast and here it is about 4:30 and dinner will be in an hour and i'm not hungry. so i'll eat dinner and that will be my only meal for the day. i'm making a huge pesto pasta with peas & chicken, about 1200 calories. so it's not like i am desiring breakfast, it's just strange and i wanted to compare. :smile:
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My husband is like that - can go all day without eating but once he eats something, that's it - foodfoodfood until he goes to bed. I'm the opposite - if I don't eat within like 2 hours of waking up, I'm a sick, shakey mess for hours after. Funny how that works. :)
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yup, food makes me hungry too! Def not just you!
    No breakfast = no appetite.
    Breakfast = munchies all day. Doesn't matter what I eat for breakfast there's gonna be munchies, I tried every breakfast in every combination.

Can't tell if it's psychological or something to do with blood sugars....

So I've spent the last couple years having 5-7 little meals a day. Keeps my munchies happy and I love eating so I'm not complaining either!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel like death if I don't eat first thing, but I'm always hungry anyway. My bf never eats in the morning & he does fine. Whatever works for you, but I wouldn't skip eating through the whole day. That sounds kind of dangerous on many levels.