Frozen Pre-Cooked Foods

Options
maidentl
maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
So, I understand that it's best to weigh food before cooking, but what if it is a pre-cooked item that's been frozen. Chicken nuggets for example, are the weight and calories of a serving for cooked?

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The nutrition label should state what the serving size is and the state. If it doesn't specify frozen or cooked, then the measurements should be for the food in the state it is packaged in - frozen in this case. Most frozen meat products like chicken nuggets are by frozen weight.
  • maidentl
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    The nutrition label should state what the serving size is and the state. If it doesn't specify frozen or cooked, then the measurements should be for the food in the state it is packaged in - frozen in this case. Most frozen meat products like chicken nuggets are by frozen weight.

They generally don't indicate which so I guess it's safer to go with frozen! :smile:

• Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this as well, but what @weird_me2 says makes sense, and I've personally always weighed my frozen chicken, salmon etc in a frozen state anyway. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In these cases I would follow the package labeling.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Packaging serving weights are by current state unless otherwise indicated. If the current state is frozen, it's going by frozen weight. If the state is dehydrated (pasta, beans), it's going by dehydrated weight. The "unless otherwise indicated" goes for products with a second column for cooked/prepared servings, like popcorn and baking mix.
  • maidentl
    Options
    Packaging serving weights are by current state unless otherwise indicated. If the current state is frozen, it's going by frozen weight. If the state is dehydrated (pasta, beans), it's going by dehydrated weight. The "unless otherwise indicated" goes for products with a second column for cooked/prepared servings, like popcorn and baking mix.

Cool, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

• Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I weigh frozen stuff frozen. Like veggies or french fries or fish. I never knew if it was correct or not, that's just what I did. Glad to know I was right! :)