First time bulk

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    OP, we are roughly about the same weight/age. (I'm a few years older though.) I did a six month bulk over the winter and ate about 4,000+ calories a day. I started at a modest 250, then increased 500 above maintenance (which was 2800-2900 at the time) and I wasn't getting the results I wanted so I ate more all the way up to 4000 to 4500. Took some doing, but all said and done, I added about 10 lbs, roughly half LBM to BF. Somehow still managed to lean bulk and retained some abs.

While bulking, I weighed and measured myself around every six weeks and really concentrated on my training and my eating because I was looking at bulking with a long view approach. I found that I reliably added about a 1.5 to 2 lbs every two weeks. Performing metrics less removed a lot of noise, that is, useless daily/weekly fluctuations and gave me better -- and more reliable data points -- in which to determine my results.

Anyway -- if you want -- you can read about my results here. My gains were modest, even small by some standards (0.125" in some places) but I did gain.

Happy eating and good luck!

I second this.

He was consistent with his eating. Trained really, really hard. And stayed the course.

Great inspiration (I actually jumped ship off my cut after watching his progress/eating)!
    Thanks @jimmer for the +1. I gotta say since adding in the DeFranco mobility drills (which I learned from your training) I've really reduced my recovery turn-around time while I am cutting/recomping.

Us 40+ guys gotta find a way to keep moving smoothly ☺
  • zz0413
    zz0413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1st time bulker here too. I started eating around 3,000 calories per day (250-300 surplus) for about 6 weeks. I increased about 9 pounds, however body fat is up about 1-2%. I'm pleased with the gains, but I'm watching the body fat like a hawk now. If it now it goes above 15% for two weeks in a row, I will have to scale back the eating or throw in a little more cardio. (I say at least two weeks because, if you are a hard gainer like me, you probably realized weight goes up and down like crazy day to day).

My advice is stay consistent with eating, and don't be afraid to tweak as you go. As long as you watch weekly it should be easy to correct. I don't think anyone can do irreparable damage in that short amount of time. Good luck mate! Keep me posted on your progress.
  • bber2014
    bber2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat so that's where it's gone. Do be discouraged by your efforts. All will come good and be seen. Measures are good starting point and are good. Re measure in say 6 weeks and let us know how you are doing
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    bber2014 wrote: »
    Muscle is heavier than fat so that's where it's gone. Do be discouraged by your efforts. All will come good and be seen. Measures are good starting point and are good. Re measure in say 6 weeks and let us know how you are doing

Sorry, but the majority of us in the "gaining weight" threads are a bit too educated to listen to this non-sense. Sorry bro......

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    bber2014 wrote: »

Sorry, but the majority of us in the "gaining weight" threads are a bit too educated to listen to this non-sense. Sorry bro......

Lol. I like.

LOL and like x2
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    bro u BULKING?
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    So there was a suggestion in the recomposition thread that if someone sees their veins, they felt they were getting successful results. I'm almost through my 6th week of bulking. Although my weight has been where it should be(a little under 1 pound per week gain), my lifts have increased, and I've gained a little size in my legs, my physique seems to be visually leaner with more veins. Perhaps I'm doing too much cardio? IDK. I don't mind more definition, don't get me wrong. Just wondering if I'm really doing a recomp or a slow, clean bulk.

Are you a new lifter? You might still be in the golden newbie zone and dropping some bodyfat while also picking up some muscle? Typically in a bulk, the longer you are in it, the less you look like you workout :D Vascularity is the first thing to go usually.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    So there was a suggestion in the recomposition thread that if someone sees their veins, they felt they were getting successful results. I'm almost through my 6th week of bulking. Although my weight has been where it should be(a little under 1 pound per week gain), my lifts have increased, and I've gained a little size in my legs, my physique seems to be visually leaner with more veins. Perhaps I'm doing too much cardio? IDK. I don't mind more definition, don't get me wrong. Just wondering if I'm really doing a recomp or a slow, clean bulk.

Are you a new lifter? You might still be in the golden newbie zone and dropping some bodyfat while also picking up some muscle? Typically in a bulk, the longer you are in it, the less you look like you workout :D Vascularity is the first thing to go usually.

Unfortunately my gut agrees with you!

Not looking forward to cutting though...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I can’t wait to bulk :love: This is a great read, guys! Living vicariously and so forth. Carry on.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Nice update! I was toying between Madcow 5x5 or a LP Hypertrophy program while bulking. It just came down to wanting to add as much muscle as possible this go around with a bulk and then focus on strength later on when my muscle gains diminish.
    I'll be curious to hear your personal review of Madcow later on.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and say the word I don't like is "moist"....grosses me out.