2 month long Plateau

Options
I started losing weight last August from 225. I hit 180 about two months ago, and it's like my body said "Well that was fun but I don't feel like doing your work anymore." In the last two months I've been hovering at 182-184.

I started losing weight by taking out the huge amounts of carbs & sugar I was consuming. I went under the paleo diet, pretty strictly at first, and as I gained the habits of eating mindfully, I allowed myself to have treats every once in a while. I used to hate food but these days it's pretty neutral.

I started going on walks around January. April was a bad month for me stress-wise, so I stopped exercising but was still eating okay.
Two weeks ago I got back on track with cardio. I'm going to start strength training when either I can afford some weights, or Fall semester starts and I can take a class for it.

Until then, I'm out of ideas, however. When I started, I was eating at about 1400 a day. I figured out my current BMR and it's 1380. I realize this is probably a bad combination. I consider myself lightly active. Does anybody have advice or suggestions?
(I'm open even to direct opposition of my strategy because I realize my first 40 lost could have more to do with a general boost in healthy habits rather than the particulars)

Replies

• thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    From what you're saying, I would definitely recommend you cut back a tiny bit on what you're eating, or work out more. Mainly, though, I wanted to tell you that you don't need to spend money on weights or wait another three months for the fall semester to start before you start strength training. I totally recognize those as excuses I've used to avoid workouts I wasn't interested in. :) You can do a lot of bodyweight strength training at home, without equipment. You can do push-ups, lunges, burpees, squats, planks, tuck jumps, etc. There are a lot of websites out there with beginner bodyweight strength training workouts. Another thing I'd recommend is doing high intensity interval training (HIIT). Doing HIIT, you might only work out for 15 or 20 minutes, but you'll work harder in those few minutes than you would on a treadmill for an hour, and a lot of HIIT is bodyweight strength training. A site that I like a lot for HIIT is www.dailyhiit.com. They use some equipment, but you can replace it with things you have around the house, like chairs, soup cans, etc. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the weird, totally irrelevant shots of scantily-clad women (and men) in compromising "workout" positions in the still photos you click on to get to the videos. If you can get past that, though, the workouts will kick your butt and keep your attention, and they're short! :)

Good luck!